• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber Sabre axis error

Dropout

Good afternoon All.

I have having a problem with a Y axis error. It is intermittent and shows up for no rhyme or reason (that I can see anyways). There is no description of the error other than "Y-AXIS".

It is always in the direction towards the home (0,0) and usually farther from home than not (it has never done this in the first 2 feet of travel). It won't error twice in the same place which should rule out a mechanical obstruction.

Setting the acceleration to low cures the problem but makes for sloooow machining.

The input voltage is a little low (217VAC but in Canada 220VAC is normal).

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Is it worth taking apart the Y-axis drive to see if anything is loose?

Other than this, it's a great machine. This is getting old though.

Thanks in advance.

lilb93

On your Y axis, Take a spray bottle and put in dry gas additave you can get in any auto parts store. Spray the Plastic nut that turns on the Y axis and Spray the whole Y axis. Be careful it is flameable. Move your Y axis while doing this Move it back and forth 10 times Keep spraying . Let it dry and try it. If it does not cure the problem ,Then you could have a bad travel bearing on either side. They are simple to change They take about 10 minutes each to change there are 4 of them. I will look for the bearing number later . You can get them at any bearing house.

Dropout

On your Y axis, Take a spray bottle and put in dry gas additave you can get in any auto parts store. Spray the Plastic nut that turns on the Y axis and Spray the whole Y axis. Be careful it is flameable. Move your Y axis while doing this Move it back and forth 10 times Keep spraying . Let it dry and try it. If it does not cure the problem ,Then you could have a bad travel bearing on either side. They are simple to change They take about 10 minutes each to change there are 4 of them. I will look for the bearing number later . You can get them at any bearing house.

Thanks for the idea. The lead screw is coated in a black grease and I think they are not supposed to be lubricated (teflon?).

What exactly do you mean by dry gas additive? Would aerosol brake cleaner do?

Dropout.

andy

I would check the connection between the drive motor and ballscrew- sounds to me that the coupler is loose and the motor shaft is slipping under high loads.

If a coupler is loose a low traverse speed will still work. It's the fast acceleration and rapid spinning at high speeds which slips the connection.

lilb93

Don't use brake clean it is to strong for the plastic coupler. Dry gas you can get in any auto parts store just ask for dry gas it is about 2 plastic bottles for a buck. Also check your drive belt under the 4 bolt cover under the table.

Dropout

Hi All.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I spent some time on the router today. I cleaned the lead screw and nut as suggested and pulled the linear bearings to check them out. They are bone dry, no lubrication at all. New bearings are 2 weeks away (I'm in Canada) so I will repack them with white lithium grease and see how it goes from there.

The coupler seems to be tight. Does anyone have the proper procedure on setting the belt tension? It looks like it's as simple as loosening up the bolts and letting the spring make the adjustment, but I want to be sure.

Also, anyone got a spare service manual for one of these? Talking to Gerber is annoying.

Dropout.