Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gerber Solara UV ink

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by bovegas, Apr 11, 2013.

1. bovegas

bovegas Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Des Plaines, IL
    Gereber sent letter saying it will discontinue sales of their UV ink. I have called them and find out Fuji Sericol makes ink for them. I spoke with Fuji rep and he told me he will sell me ink. Price is $450 for 5 liter which is really good price. So it comes in 5 liter container. Only problem is that I don't need that much ink. I was wondering if somebody wanna share. Also they sell only CMYK. I guess green and violet I would have to mix on my own. They don't know how many parts of cyan and how many parts of yellow I need to mix green. Anybody know? There is no way to turn off this 2 channel either on printer or software. Any input would be helpfull

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    no matter what, mixing your own ink to make green and violet will result in profile nightmares.

3. bovegas

bovegas Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Des Plaines, IL
    I just took a look in Onyx media manager and I guess I would be able to create profile using CMYK only. So that is good news since I have I1. That would be better than mixing ink I guess

4. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    mixing the cyan an yellow will not give you the same green. they are completely different pigments ...
    and the same for violet.

5. bovegas

bovegas Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Des Plaines, IL
    Thanks Artbot. What is your suggestion? Is there any way I will be able to get green?

6. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    unfortunately the sign business seems fine with what cmyk (and lm lc ...which is a waste of ink). with onyx (what rip are you using) you could turn the violet and green off and just create a profile using the usual cmyk. if you have spare channels i'd run white or varnish with them. even if you have channels running white and varnish you could double them up to run them faster as a second pass.

7. bovegas

bovegas Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Des Plaines, IL
    Thanks Artbot. So basically I would need in Onyx to build profile using just CMYK. Is it possible in Onyx to edit existing CMYKGV profile to be CMYK without printing swatches and measuring them? Existing profiles in Onyx are pretty good right now. Is it more complicated like building new profile and copying ink limits etc or its just a click of a button. Thanks again

8. artbot

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i'll ask my print guy. he's had to edit some custom ink sets for me using onyx PH

9. bovegas

bovegas Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Des Plaines, IL
    Thanks Artbot I really appreciate