• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gerber VS Summa

bue95

Hey guys, I am currently looking to add a thermal machine to compliment my inkjet setup. I am wanting the thermal machine for all the obvious reasons and all the things they do well (bright consistent colors). However I have never had any experience running a thermal machine and do not know a whole lot about them other then what I have read and videos I have watched. I am wondering if there is any huge differences between the summa and the edge in terms of printing process, file prep and general durability. From everything I have read the edge is a tank and the envision plotter works great. My only hang up is working with the 12'' print area and trying to get some of the shapes from the products I make to fit (tiling is not a option for my products). The 30'' summa would make my life easier in that respect and the price is much better and they do also make some nice plotters. I am concerned about maintenance and durability between the 2, I run the machines from morning to night and do not want to deal with finicky equipment so I am leaning a little closer to the edge but I would like to hear from people with experience with both machines or just general thermal printing knowledge so I know what I can expect.

Another question I have is the differences between the edge fx and edge 2. I know the the FX is the newest machine but wondering if the edge 2 is still relevant and if gerber still supports the machine. Thanks for any info guys, I appreciate it!

Jase

We looked at the summa for all of the above reasons, however after 4 inches (someone correct me if this measuremnt is wrong) the summa leaves a line as it moves the cartridge. If you ask for samples you will not get one over a certain length. We discounted that machine and bought another Edge.

The FX is the newer machine as you say. You can purchase reconditioned Edge 2's as well, not all the colours are available on an FX so it depends what you want to use it for.

Good luck.

jayhawksigns

We looked at both and went with the Summa.

Both printers will produce good output, and I admit that the Summa can be a little fussy. But we do a lot of one color stickers with it, especially with white ink. And since its a print/cut solution we just weed and send them out the door.

signage

The only problem I have with the Summa is they are the sole vendor for the foils! So if they ever decide it is not viable anylonger you will be left with a large boat anchor!

bue95

We looked at both and went with the Summa.

Both printers will produce good output, and I admit that the Summa can be a little fussy. But we do a lot of one color stickers with it, especially with white ink. And since its a print/cut solution we just weed and send them out the door.

you have any issues with the machine leaving lines in the print when the carriage moves as jase said above?

jayhawksigns

At times. It seems that the media plays a big role in how well it prints.

Just did a batch of stickers, at least nine passes, and I can't tell were the seams are at. But it can happen.

Like you mentioned originally, that whole 12" width thing was my big turn off to the Edge.

bue95

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. Looks like I am getting the edge and envision, I knew it would probably be the best choice.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never used a Summa, but I love my EdgeFX & Envision plotter. Runs like a tank, kinda sounds like one too.

ThinkRight

I never used an Edge.
My Summa works great though.
A real sign maker could probably make one sing and dance.
I am just an HVAC mechanic, and I am making decent stickers.
Good luck.

we've had our edgefx for 7 years now and it never misses a beat! really are work horses. we had to chage one of the drive motors in out plotter but that was easy enough.

edgefx and plotter.....thats what i would recommend

TXFB.INS

:thread

What is the advantage of running a thermal printer over an eco-sol printer?

we use our VS-640 on the stickers and runs great.

Thanks

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
:thread

What is the advantage of running a thermal printer over an eco-sol printer?

we use our VS-640 on the stickers and runs great.

Thanks

To name a few benefits:

• No fumes or drying time needed
  • No lamination needed for most jobs
  • No delays between print and cut means more efficient workflow
  • Dozens of spot colors means less need for process color printing so less need for color management
  • Hundreds of Spectratone overprinted spot colors
  • Denser, richer colors
  • Print on a larger variety of materials
  • Spot white on clear
  • No edge curling problems on bleed cuts

TXFB.INS

To name a few benefits:

• Dozens of spot colors means less need for process color printing so less need for color management
  • Denser, richer colors
  • Spot white on clear

Thanks,

regarding prices, which is more efficient.

HulkSmash

To name a few benefits:

• Denser, richer colors
  • Spot white on clear

thanks for the list fred, is it true you're looking at about 50cents a sqft for printing cost with the edge though?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks,

regarding prices, which is more efficient.

• Initial investment = inkjet
  • Materials = inkjet
  • Maintenance = thermal
  • Workflow = thermal
  • Lack of potential health problems = thermal
  • Profitability retained against competitive price cutting = thermal