• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Get a dashcam

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I run the front and rear cams in everything we own. I did it first in my daughter's car because video doesnt lie. I have sense added them to everything. I got them off of amazon for $200ish. The cool thing is these also record while your parked and detect movement or collision and save the footage. Then it lets you know when you get back in that a collision occurred while parked. Works like a security system.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Highly recommend a dash cam especially since they’re so cheap. I bought one for like $25 and still works great for the last 4 years.

Cam records if the vehicle is sitting in a parking lot and gets bumped.

Also on a side note, a trailer hitch / ball if you have a pickup.
If someone runs in to you at a low speed it will just push your vehicle forward not trash your rear bumper .

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y886X89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I like the one Mike Patterson linked to... I don't want a device in my field of view and it looks like Mike's you can hide behind your rearview mirror.

Oh, and I found out what the other lady is claiming happened.. She said that my trailer was swaying at hit the rear of her car because there is black paint on it... and I also hit the back of her car because I merged into her lane. So my trailer and I both hit her car in the same spot. I told the insurance adjuster I have a photo of my car from the scene and it captures my trailer and her truck in background. The trailer license plate sticks out past the black metal and isn't bend or anything.... hummmmmmmm.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y886X89/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I like the one Mike Patterson linked to... I don't want a device in my field of view and it looks like Mike's you can hide behind your rearview mirror.

Oh, and I found out what the other lady is claiming happened.. She said that my trailer was swaying at hit the rear of her car because there is black paint on it... and I also hit the back of her car because I merged into her lane. So my trailer and I both hit her car in the same spot. I told the insurance adjuster I have a photo of my car from the scene and it captures my trailer and her truck in background. The trailer license plate sticks out past the black metal and isn't bend or anything.... hummmmmmmm.
Did her mom pull through?

Jester

Slow is Fast
Just get the cam(s). Same deal, merging traffic cut my friend off and slammed on the brakes. Her video made all the difference in the civil suits. The opposing side's attorney's entire attitude changed when they realized she had video. Still took years for insurance to resolve, but ultimately she ended up with a good result.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't get how you all get into these messes where you need forms, pictures, cameras, written this or that, contracts etc etc. Even when you can prove you are right, it never matters unless you want to waste a pile of money to take every time dick and harry to court. I wouldn't be putting any camera in my truck. If something serious actually happened, they will find something on there to use against you whether it was your fault or not.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's cheap insurance. If I had video of this lady veering into my lane, I wouldn't be out the damages. If the video proves me wrong... I simply don't supply it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's cheap insurance. If I had video of this lady veering into my lane, I wouldn't be out the damages. If the video proves me wrong... I simply don't supply it.
She would tell her insurance company her story anyways and you'd be in the same spot. The cop doesn't assign guilt, they just write a report and can cite the other driver. Police are not the judge and jury and don't have the power to determine a verdict, that's for court. If she tells her insurer that the report is inaccurate then they are going to take her side. Then you have to file the claim with your insurance company. They pay to fix your truck and then they decide whether to battle it out with hers to get their money back or write it off.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't get how you all get into these messes where you need forms, pictures, cameras, written this or that, contracts etc etc. Even when you can prove you are right, it never matters unless you want to waste a pile of money to take every time dick and harry to court. I wouldn't be putting any camera in my truck. If something serious actually happened, they will find something on there to use against you whether it was your fault or not.
You have to have some defense against those pedestrian insurance scammers that jump in front of your stopped truck and then tell the cops you ran into them. It's either the camera or 4 wheel drive so you don't get any of the squishy stuff on the rocker panels when you exit and drive over them.

binki

We have the OwlCam in all vehicles. They are really having growing pains as the original company went out of business and a commercial GPS company purchased them and has slowly worked on getting the service back to where it was when it was good. The upside is it is always on and can catch someone hitting or breaking into your car when it is stationary. The downside is the software and connectivity still really suck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With covid conditions, just stay home and work from home. Stay off the roads, please.

netsol

With today's climate, it seems like a good idea. I have a camera, but it's only for backing up and doesn't record. Maybe I can convert that one and have it record and also get one out the front. Hmmm........
Or just order one for $30 when the commercial runs at 2 am

netsol

KEEP IN MIND
if you ever have an accident that might be construed as your fault, SMASH THE CAMERA first thing
These days police impound your dashcam, the download from your ECU, surrounding cameras from homes and businesses, and if you happen to be at home, the logs from your ALEXA which it turns out has always been listening...