• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Get ready to shut down

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Some countries in Europe are shut down. San Francisco just closed down saying only "essential" workers are to be out and it's a misdemeanor to violate it. I didn't see anywhere where sign people were included in being essential.

This might be a glimpse as to what the rest of the nation might have to do pretty soon. Might want to start thinking about a plan if you have to close up shop... maybe doing a test print on your Roland to keep it from dying might be considered "essential"

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They should just do it now and get it over with while some people have cash and food reserves. Its almost inevitable. The longer they wait, the more cases there will be and the longer the shut down will need to be.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My shop is literally under my bed. And my daily commute consists of walking down the hall, making a left turn at the bathroom and going down seventeen stair steps.

The only time it gets congested around here is if my wife makes it to the bathroom before I do. If that's the case, I visit the one at the next exit...which happens to be at the bottom of the first set of stairs.

Full steam ahead here in the Mitten state.

JB

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
My concern is if customer traffic comes to a complete halt there won't be much need to keep the doors open. Supply chain disruptions are going to turn into a big problem if this situation drags itself out for too long. That problem will get even more complicated for anything that has to be imported.

The social distancing and other more serious measures are necessary. But I worry those moves have come too little too late. Like locking the front door after the intruder has invaded your house. The best we can hope for now (if everyone gets with the freaking program) is slow the spread rather than have it spike.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Public Information Officer, Washington Emergency Management Division AGENCY

Gov. Inslee signed an emergency proclamation today banning gatherings over 50 people. Gatherings with fewer than 50 people are prohibited unless strict criteria for hygiene & social distancing are met. Grocery stores & pharmacies will stay open. Restaurants that allow take-out service will continue to operate for now. However, dine-in restaurants, bars, clubs & theaters, indoor recreational venues such as gyms and yoga studios must cease operations. Retail stores are closed unless operating at special capacities and strict criteria for hygiene and social distancing. These rules will be for the next two weeks and it may be extended after that. If you don’t have to do activities, stay home. This will save lives. The governor is also asking residents older than 60 and those with underlying health conditions to self isolate, if they can. This will require behavior change. These are very difficult decisions, but hours count here, and very strong measures are necessary to slow the spread of the disease. Gov. Inslee knows there will be significant economic impacts to all our communities, and we are looking at steps to help address those challenges.

ChicagoGraphics

Is anyone wearing masks there, alot of reports say they do nothing but acturaly they do help as long as you have at least a surgical mask but the N95 is better, I should know this as I'm in China and still went outside when it was real bad and still covid19 free. Stay safe people

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

visual800

This is just about the stupidest damn thing Ive ever seen in my life. They act like this thing is eating your face off. I would love to know who is at the root of this birth of mass hysteria........AND if they come up with a vaccine for this I damn sure aint taking it. I have never seen a bunch of humans act so damn ignorant in my life

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is just about the stupidest damn thing Ive ever seen in my life. They act like this thing is eating your face off. I would love to know who is at the root of this birth of mass hysteria........AND if they come up with a vaccine for this I damn sure aint taking it. I have never seen a bunch of humans act so damn ignorant in my life

Like the amazing shrinking doctor said yesterday in the press conference, we are two weeks behind where our reality is, so the actions we take now will seem drastic to what where we think we are are.

No the virus doesn't eat your face off, but what happens if you have an accident and your face gets burned off. Hospitals will be so busy that they will triage you and you will be left for dead because other people have higher survival probabilities. Also, this virus could take out your elderly family members.

I say we quarantine all the old members here to their own special forum where they can post early in the morning without the fear of younger members infecting them.

TimToad

Do you know what the term "exponential" means? It means one case turns into 2, 2 into 4, 4 into 8, etc.. etc...

Countries all over the world and many with healthcare systems better than ours are being overwhelmed by the exponential growth in new positive cases. Italy's healthcare system is so overwhelmed, they have now given up on treating anyone over 80. The virus has also crossed over into healthy populations and all age groups. Even survivors are being shown to have suffered permanent lung damage. It can survive longer than expected on various surfaces and even our pets can be carriers.

When EXACTLY would YOU like to start to take this thing seriously?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
My biggest worry is that Italy has 2x the number of intensive care beds as the UK and those filled up VERY quickly.

Sure, the death rate is only 2% now (haven’t actually checked the most recent rate, don’t judge me) BUT when all the hospital beds are full and all the ventilators are already in use, people that would have otherwise survived may meet their untimely end simply due to lack of resources to treat them. Then the % goes up!

(In the UK we’re pretty much only testing people that need hospitalised now so our official numbers are likely MUCH lower than the real amount).

The way I see it, is they know this thing is gonna be big, but if they can delay the spread even slightly and stagger the length of time between cases, it’ll give them some breathing room to not get overwhelmed as quickly.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Like the amazing shrinking doctor said yesterday in the press conference, we are two weeks behind where our reality is, so the actions we take now will seem drastic to what where we think we are are.

No the virus doesn't eat your face off, but what happens if you have an accident and your face gets burned off. Hospitals will be so busy that they will triage you and you will be left for dead because other people have higher survival probabilities. Also, this virus could take out your elderly family members.

I say we quarantine all the old members here to their own special forum where they can post early in the morning without the fear of younger members infecting them.
Yes let's definitely quarantine the older members from the youth:
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronav...0200317-owlqxckbljdynhwyk6fgazdctu-story.html

ikarasu

It's a global pandemic. A lot of people were laughing at those who saw the writing on the wall and got prepared. I bought all my supplies / dried goods back when this was still contained in china - A flu that has a 2 week period to infect people where you dont show symptoms? Even if its a .5% mortality rate, thats a scary virus to have floating around.

I'm in my 30s, never smoked a day in my life - I'm not worried if I get it. Theres like a 0% mortality rate on people under 18, so I'm not worried about my kid either. I'm not afraid of the virus, I'm afraid of the consequences of it - if I were to get it... Anyone I come into even if theyre young, could pass it onto someone who is likely to end up dying. We all know someone thats over the hill, Half the people I work with are approaching their 70s.

Shutting down isnt about protecting you as an individual, it's about protecting those who're unable to protect themselves. It's about not bogging down all our resources - If the hospitals are overwhelmed and you need a doctor for something... do you think you'll get treatment?

I wish we were doing more. I think everything should be shut down while we curb the spread of the virus - everyday it's doubling ... And they say not to worry, itll get under control, then next day...double. Then we close down the schools... then close down the restaurants... Then in a few days it's going to be a mandatory shutdown like italy/france is having... Why not skip waiting until our health system is on its knees, and just go straight there? I know there's a lot of consequences and businesses that will lose their business due to it... But there is no escaping it, its inevitable. Not one country that has the disease under control has done it without shutting everything down.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I wonder how many rogue "basement scientists" are trying to mutate it into something even worse?

JB