• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting a new computer

nuke

signs since 1999
Signburst!!! Not over priced. We have 4 Signburst computers saved us enough time on the 1st wrap. Made me a believer. Tech support is great, Casey usually answers his phone the 1st time you call or call you back asap.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Thanks for the schooling! I've been messing with computers since the early 70's. I was writing code in C for Unix 5 in High School. I use both Macs and PCs. I find Macs easier and more convenient to use. I will only use a PC if I have to.

As a graphic designer, I spend at least four hours a day staring at a monitor. I also use a computer for everything from project management to banking. I also spend a few hours a day researching, reading, and just goofing off with a computer. I might spend 2500 hours a year staring at a monitor. I figure the Mac saves me maybe a half hour a day (or about $10k annually at $50/hr.).

PS: when I turn the computer off, it stays off. I also enjoy bike riding, hiking, canoeing and kayaking, playing music and singing, going out for a beer, and spending time with my family. What I do sacrifice is watching TV and smart phone screen time. My phone is off most of the day, and I watch TV about 1-2 hours a week.

neato

What is a computer other than a collection of parts? What is "well built"?

I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to assume they're going to sell their finished computers for the same price anyone else can get parts for

Last edited:
I'll get a lot of "dislikes" for this.... but Signburst computers are way overpriced for what they are.

Ehhh, who cares if you get a lot of dislikes? Speak your mind, as you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. However, keep in mind that you're paying for more than just hardware. You're paying for quality, customer service, and piece of mind and from what I hear around the forums, all the above criteria are well met.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ehhh, who cares if you get a lot of dislikes? Speak your mind, as you're certainly entitled to your own opinion. However, keep in mind that you're paying for more than just hardware. You're paying for quality, customer service, and piece of mind and from what I hear around the forums, all the above criteria are well met.

Yes, and that's the value he adds to a commodity. It's what we all add to signs that makes people order from us. I'm not saying that what he's doing is bad or a ripoff, just that those that need a little hand holding will pay for it. If someone is low on funds or doesn't need assistance using or setting up a computer its much cheaper to buy a regular machine. He's a good business man because it seems he's making a good profit on the machines, and making customers very happy!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yes, and that's the value he adds to a commodity. It's what we all add to signs that makes people order from us. I'm not saying that what he's doing is bad or a ripoff, just that those that need a little hand holding will pay for it. If someone is low on funds or doesn't need assistance using or setting up a computer its much cheaper to buy a regular machine. He's a good business man because it seems he's making a good profit on the machines, and making customers very happy!

Exactly. I'm not bashing Signburst. I'm sure his product is top notch. There are just a lot of frugal people here on signs101 and building your own computer is the frugal option.

equippaint

What is a computer other than a collection of parts? What is "well built"?
I could put together the parts but for non computer people like me its more than just this. With computers, I know enough to do my job but nothing more than that. I have zero interest in learning about pcs/software etc so I lean on those that know to guide me to what I need. That is where signburst or an equivalent company comes in. Much like with signs and design, you are paying for knowledge that you don't have.
There are people on here, like yourself, that know this stuff so it's no big deal. For people like me, I just want something that works to show up in a box so I can do the things that I know and like to do.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for the schooling! I've been messing with computers since the early 70's. I was writing code in C for Unix 5 in High School. I use both Macs and PCs. I find Macs easier and more convenient to use. I will only use a PC if I have to.

You know, back in my day, PCs just meant Personal Computer. It wasn't OS dependent. If it could perform tasks locally without having to hook up to a server/mainframe to perform tasks, it was a PC.

I guess that ad campaign during the 9x era really did work were people think somehow Macs aren't PCs.

As to ease of use, that will depends. After 3 wks my dad was willing to toss his brand new Mac and go back to Windows (which he did, I got the Mac and put Arch on it). It reminds me those that think DRAW is easier then Ai. It all depends on what you are used to and how willing you are for change.

The Mac ecosystem can be a blessing and a curse. While I don't like the direction Windows is going, I don't like the direction that OSX is going as well. Neither one are what they used to be in my mind.

As a graphic designer, I spend at least four hours a day staring at a monitor. I also use a computer for everything from project management to banking. I also spend a few hours a day researching, reading, and just goofing off with a computer. I might spend 2500 hours a year staring at a monitor. I figure the Mac saves me maybe a half hour a day (or about $10k annually at $50/hr.).

With the way Win 10 is going, I actually do agree with just about any other OS saving time (which equates to money).

But having said that, even Mac isn't devoid of it's updating issues (SU issue during the release of High Sierra and I think a couple of App Store breakages as well, while trying to fix the SU issue).

They all have their foibles, trying to switch from one OS to another may just be too time consuming/difficult/whatever issue.

I too spend a lot of time at the computer. I actually just like messing with them as well. Probably the reason why I've started to gravitate to the Linux OS compared to the others. Have far more control and ease of use is far greater then it used to be (despite the common misconception that it still isn't).

Since the OP is wanting to run Flexi though, especially if keeping the legacy version (hope the OP has the dongle version), if the OP goes Mac, going to need to run a VM. That doubles the resource requirements (when it comes to VMs, I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it, why I run computers with xeon processors and ECC ram when VMing).

Unless the OP is lucky enough to get WINE (or CrossOver (commercial version)) to work. Which is typically iffy on dongle Windows software. And I don't know if it's High Sierra compatible yet.

player

Signburst Computers should mean no conflicts or hardware errors. Stellar tech support as well. One stupid hardware conflict with no tech support could cost a business way way more than the extra money they charge to spec out their machines and support their customers.

visual800

Dell XPS systems are kick ass. Get on ebay and buy a used one with windows 7 on it. All I buy is used computers and I have had great luck. This XPS can run illy, flexi and internet, streaming radio with no issues. Its all you need and it fairly reasonable. Im still running an i5 intel on an XPS 8300. Its fast, reliable, cheap.

I have to agree with amigo signs. there is no sense in spending thousands of bucks on a computer with the same chinese crap all other ones have. Alienware and all these water cooled high end gaming systems are just a waste of money. I will agree Dell can make crap systems thats why I went with xps units. No issues with mine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8...h=item363a32f10c:g:7CMAAOSw~Ltbgb6s:rk:2:pf:0

WildWestDesigns

I have to agree with amigo signs. there is no sense in spending thousands of bucks on a computer with the same chinese crap all other ones have. Alienware and all these water cooled high end gaming systems are just a waste of money. I will agree Dell can make crap systems thats why I went with xps units. No issues with mine

I'm a little confused. If they have all the same "Chinese crap" in them, then why even upgrade to the XPS unit unless there was something about that system that was actually worth it.

While it is going to be very, very hard to find computer components that haven't had China's fingers (especially true depending on what "your" stance is on the Taiwan issue) on at some point in the supply chain, not all are crap/low quality. And the opposite is true as well. Not always based on price (and I think that's the real concern here is price), but more often then not, that is the indicator most use ("you get what you pay for" etc, which in some ways is true, in other ways is not).

Old Guy

I have to agree with you, VandarJ. I gave up on buying name-brand computers a very long time ago... My present workhorse is always built around an Asus board, AMD Threadripper CPU, Nvidia graphics, and 16 gigs of RAM. For the two hours of 'Adult Legos', I have a box that runs circles around anything pre-built, that cost me 1/3 of retail...

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The SignBurst computers are a tremendous deal for those that don't want to be bothered with figuring this stuff out for themselves. A person could spend hours pouring over computer details, compatibility issues, power supply concerns, software compatibility, etc. Or you can contact SignBurst and be reasonably assured that what they send you will be tailored for your needs. They know the graphics industry, and that knowledge combined with their computer skills has great value!

You can certainly copy the specs of a SignBust Inferno and give it to a 12 year old kid who will have a lot of fun building your computer for you. You will probably spend about half. But besides being a fun project, you will not get the expertise on critical issues and the tech support you would get from SignBurst. It all depends on your comfort level.

I have a gamer friend build all my PCs. Those things are reliable and fast (they look ridiculous, but computers that look like transformer robots are all the rage now). They are a better deal than the ones I can get at Best Buy. When they have problems, I just call him in. He knows all the tricks, and usually has me up and running in a few minutes.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Old Guy: how do you know that a DCF 745.98 is compatible with MS OS xxx build 12.23.5 or whether the spindle speed of the Decrapifier is synchronous with the retrieval speed of the dynamo hum 400 pro-magnetc quasi media? Are you sure the plugs on the StudioTan 1000 graphics card will fit into a FBH88.ssd.vrmt.09873 mod 3 pyro power supply, or do you need to get the amalgamation 25 module, and do you really want to use an adapter at all because it might block critical ventilation. I don't know those things. That's why I spend a little extra and have somebody who does this for a living do it for me.

149motorsports

Why are you looking for a new computer?
You say you don't use it much. New computer requires new OS, which requires new RIP, new RIP might require new hardware to drive. If what you have works and works well and you still want to upgrade, I would consider using the virtual machine option. It makes it fully portable to another computer when the time comes and you don't have to upgrade your OS or your software because it will be running the same just in a sandbox.

I just do vinyl. No printing.