• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting all the ink

bpatrick3

I wanted to share a method that has allowed me to use almost ALL the ink in my 440 cc carts. Out of weekend desperation I needed to finish a job and was out of....you guessed it...Magenta. I had been saving all the empty carts. to recycle so I decided to ignore the printer warning and continue to print until the cart ran dry. When it was empty I decided to weight and it weighted 288gm. Based on that I started weighing my so called empties to find that some weighted as much as 312gm based on that I started loading the carts one at a time and printed until they reached about 292-294 gm because I did not want to run dry again I just did that the first time to get a Baseline. I was lucky that the job was 3' x 3' banners so I could check the weight in between banners. I have been doing it with all my so called empties. I do it on smaller jobs so that a mess up is not that costly. I also break off the warning tab so that I do not have to listen to BEEP BEEP.

CanuckSigns

don't you run the risk of getting air in the lines? If that happens, wouldn't you loose any savings you got in time spent re-priming the lines?

bpatrick3

Correct, and I did waste some ink the first time just to see what an empty cartridge should weight. Instead of wasting all 4 colors to prime up, in this case, magenta. I created a 50" by 2" file that was 100% magenta and printed it until I had magenta flowing again--it was primed on the 3rd try the first one did not print any magenta and it freaked me out but then the second time it was printing but a little uneven and the third was perfect. Now I just pull the cartridge at 292-294gm. and have not run dry, I might be able to push it to 290gm but I am not that greedy.

CanuckSigns

I'm sure some will benefit from this tip, I just don't see the reason to fuss over 20 grams of ink (what is that in litres anyways?)

I realize that times are tight these days, but this seems like a "spending dollars to save pennies" situation to me.

tpartrg310

i suck the ink out of all empties with a dedicated syrenge for each color and transfer the ink into a back up cartridge. Get as much as 45+ cc's each time from my roland cartridges.

gabagoo

I'm sure some will benefit from this tip, I just don't see the reason to fuss over 20 grams of ink (what is that in litres anyways?)

I realize that times are tight these days, but this seems like a "spending dollars to save pennies" situation to me.

I agree, the risk is not worth the reward..... I'm still using OEM inks and we are strill making money so not sure why you would risk possible service call$$$

bpatrick3

20 grams is about 5 percent of the cartridge. While I agree with "spending dollars to save pennies" is useless. I only took the time to pass on this info because it is as easy as cake, once you know the numbers. Putting an ink cartridge on a scale it pretty easy, I hope that I am not sounding harsh, I just do not know how else to say it. I myself will probably continue to collect empties and then when time permits go back and use them up on a slower day or weekend or out of desperation.

bpatrick3

I agree, the risk is not worth the reward..... I'm still using OEM inks and we are strill making money so not sure why you would risk possible service call$$$

That's cool, not sure what risk or what service call you are talking about.

CanuckSigns

20 grams is about 5 percent of the cartridge. While I agree with "spending dollars to save pennies" is useless. I only took the time to pass on this info because it is as easy as cake, once you know the numbers. Putting an ink cartridge on a scale it pretty easy, I hope that I am not sounding harsh, I just do not know how else to say it. I myself will probably continue to collect empties and then when time permits go back and use them up on a slower day or weekend or out of desperation.

Hey man, whatever works! :rock-n-roll::thumb:

rjssigns

1g is 1ml. And I weigh carts from time to time because I don't trust the "indicator" to stick out and stop the printer.
Someday when I have nothing better to do I will figure out grams/milliliters per sq.ft.