• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting "can't open illustration. The file was created by a newer version of illy..."

spudcity

I just had a file sent by a customer in .eps file. When I try and open it, I am unable to and it says I need to resave it with a version that is compatible with my version of illustrator. I am using CS2, but why can't I open any .eps file and use it like I have always done?

Is there any way I can get around this? This has happened for the last two files that I have had sent to me, one through an email link to dropbox and another in a regular email with the file attached.

Is there a newer version of CS/Illustrator that I can get that would likely still work?

thanks!

J

You would have two options:

1. Go to the newest (and last) version of Illustrator CS6, if you prefer the perpetual licensing model.
2. Go to the Creative Cloud (CC), which is a subscription model.

Of these, the CC option is the only one that would guarantee that you never get the offending message again, provided your subscription is in effect.

WildWestDesigns

I just had a file sent by a customer in .eps file. When I try and open it, I am unable to and it says I need to resave it with a version that is compatible with my version of illustrator. I am using CS2, but why can't I open any .eps file and use it like I have always done?

Is there any way I can get around this? This has happened for the last two files that I have had sent to me, one through an email link to dropbox and another in a regular email with the file attached.

Is there a newer version of CS/Illustrator that I can get that would likely still work?

thanks!

J

More then likely, it was save as an EPS version that corresponds to their version of Ai. If they were using effects that aren't supported in your version (say variable stroke width or gradients on a stroke), then your version won't see it even if you managed to open it.

Now, if they were to convert those strokes to outlines, then that would get around that, but they would have to do that.

There is no for sure way to get around this except to be current with Adobe. I have CS6 and I still get that message on occasion. Now, I'm still able to open it, it just says something to the effect that it's a new version and some things may not translate do I wish to continue. So for, it matches the jpg that they give me as well. But the only way is to be current with Adobe. Or, you could always ask your client for a different version (depending on the situation though, they may not like that and go elsewhere).

thinksigns

SnowFlake
If you happen to be on a Mac, I've had luck with opening the file with Preview, saving as a .pdf and opening the new file with Illustrator.

WildWestDesigns

If you happen to be on a Mac, I've had luck with opening the file with Preview, saving as a .pdf and opening the new file with Illustrator.

More then likely, it was saved with PDF compatibility. Which would enable it to be read in other programs that had the ability to read PDFs (such as Preview).

Bridge would be another program, but the file would have to have been saved with PDF compatibility. Some people uncheck that to to lower file size even more.

visual800

all you do i contact them and tell them to save back to your version, no big deal. there is no sense in wasting money upgrading because you cant open files.

jfiscus

Rap Master
When I get a file like this, I create a new file in Illustrator and place that file into it. Then you can embed the image and remove the crop box.
Usually works great!

oksigns

I'm replying to your Corel post about the same issue.

1. You can always ask for a specific version from your clients. When you do this, give them all the information they need to save the file as a specific version you need to keep the perceived hassle down and education sets healthy expectations with your customers.

2. Ask for the PDF or native .AI file whenever possible. The .EPS is formatted differently and you may lose some editability/advantages of being that native file. Despite receiving the warning of being a different version, sometimes Illustrator may be able to convert the file _IF_ it is the native file or a PDF produced by a native file.

3. Since going the "cloud" route, it is $20 a month. Depending on how much business you do, a setup fee can cover that quite easily, and you have no more compatibility issues.

getcustomized

Here's what you do assuming you have complete CS2 package. Open the file with Adobe In Design. Then export the file as a PDF or any other format you prefer. Then you can open with Illy.