• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting customers to check proofs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess we just agree to disagree. :thumb:

Only human........ here's one for ya, that happened yesterday to me at the bank.

Went into a bank to cash a check from a customer at their bank. A new customer, so I had them make it out to me, therefore I know immediately if the money is there and I don't get a penalty from my bank for a bad check.

Girl types all this stuff in, takes my ID and it takes about 2 minutes until she counts out the money and gives it to me. She handed it to me and I counted it..... and counted it again. I looked at her and said, I can't get this to come out right. She said, Impossible. So, I said you count it. She did and said it was correct according to her counting, so I then asked her, what was the amount on the check ?? She said, ohhhhh......... I put the wrong amount in. Oh. So, she asked another girl how to take this out of the system and rectify it. The girl started telling her and then the teller said to her, the machine read the check wrong. Wha....?? I said, what do you mean the machine read the check wrong ?? Didn't you put the numbers in ?? No sir, the machine reads the check and we do everything accordingly. So, me being me said, I don't believe you. Now, they both jumped on me telling me they were trying to fix a mistake. Yeah, a mistake I found, but you couldn't. So, the head girl says, sir, stop being rude to me. I told her I was not being rude, but she was getting upset and she came back and said, we are all humans here, right ?? I think so. Well, humans make mistakes and we are just trying to fix this for you. I said, only after I spoke up that she was gonna send me on my way shortchanged. She said sir, you are being rude. No, I aint. I just want the money promised to me and then I'll leave you alone.

She now gave me the correct amount and I said to the one, we don't need your help anymore and if this was a human mistake, how/why did the machine get blamed ??

So, I said..... adiós and left.

Chasez

good idea to agree to disagree.. Everyone has their own business practices and knows whats best for their OWN business.

Chaz

fresh

Look, we all make mistakes, which is why we provide proofs in the first place. I'm not going to "own up" to a typo when its clearly stated that I am NOT RESPONSIBLE for typos on my proof form. Isn't that one of the reasons we provide proofs? For the client to make sure everything is correct? I'm not the editor, the client is.

And there is a reason you need someone else to proof your work. Your brain naturally glosses over errors because it already knows what its supposed to say. You literally need someone else to read it in order to see the mistake. What’s Up With That: Why It’s So Hard to Catch Your Own Typos

Andy_warp

We don't go to print until we have an approval from the client on a digital proof. When we go to print we have the approved digital proof printed and attached to the work order. I've found the more times we look at it, the better the chance of catching it. If you made the typo...it's on you. Another way we get around this is EVERY art file we accept has fonts converted to outlines. We're doing 10 foot fabric prints, so typically not copy heavy, so it works for us. The second you take ownership of the layout...if you make a mistake, it's on you. Missed on the proof or not.

For us, maintaining a customer relationship far outweighs recouping the cost for one project. If it happens more than once...we'll address it, and be more cautious.
Since our signs are GIANT...it's also about our reputation. If there is a hanging sign at a tradeshow with a typo on it, every person at the show will see it.

NOBODY is going to ask if the proof was approved.

They are going to ask who made it, and not do business with us.