• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting dx4 print heads cleaned***********

artbot

those heads are so fragile. i've killed many trying to clean them. you best bet is to get a cupcake pan and sit the heads so that the platen is submerged. i had a error'ed dx4 that was also clogged. tried NMP on it. the NMP cleaned it up quick. don't know if it would have fired afterward because it as a "dead" head.

the issue with dx4 is the guts of the head are the microthin layers of some kind of super brittle metal. it looks like graphite. just slightly too much pressure in the head and these tiny layers (i imagine they are etched with the channels that the ink flows through) will fracture and the interior of the head collapses and locks up. getting the stream of solvent flying out of the bottom probably means you are killing the head.

if i was running dx4s now i'd:
- cupcake pan soak the bottom of the head in NMP for about a week
- lightly push standard solvent through the head
- fill a refillable cart with solvent cleaner and print (or attempt to print) big blocks of that channel, with intermittent head soaks.

if that doesn't do it then toss it. i think i've invested $100 in labor each on a set of heads going back and forth with them. they may be priced like industrial heads, but in reality Epson makes each one for about $50. so that's why they fall apart under cleaning.