• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting horizontal color density waves in 6cm intervals on sp-540v

woodworm

Hi
I need help on this issue. I think its not a classic banding error, not sure how to call it.
On gray tones, i get colored waves between blue and red in a 6cm interval.
Well, a picture will say more than 1000 words:
IMG_7318-oe1.jpg

I have tried printing the designs horizontal and vertical, so its not in the fade / gradient of the colors.its always horizontal on the print.
IMG_7318-oe2.jpg

damonCA21

There are quite a few reasons this can happen, but also some solutions.
Slow down the head speed and also print in high quality with W pass enabled ( settings are all in versaworks ). Set the print to uni directional rather than bi directional. All of these give a much better quality print.
If this doesn't fix it then also change the cap tops and dampers as it may be ink starvation to the head

woodworm

There are quite a few reasons this can happen, but also some solutions.
Slow down the head speed and also print in high quality with W pass enabled ( settings are all in versaworks ). Set the print to uni directional rather than bi directional. All of these give a much better quality print.
If this doesn't fix it then also change the cap tops and dampers as it may be ink starvation to the head
Thank you for your insight and suggestions!
I have already printed the pics above with uni-direction and slow speed in hi quality ...
Dampers are new - can the cap tops really have an impact like this?
Since these are not regular banding stripes from the head (these would have to be far closer together and sharper) im out of ideas otherwise.
I will check w-pass next ;) then the cap tops....
thanks!

damonCA21

The cap tops won't really make that much difference, it is mainly the dampers. The heads need to have a constant supply of ink otherwise some areas will have more dense areas. How are your test prints looking in service mode? This will show if the larger and smaller nozzles are firing correctly.
It could also be an issue with the print carriage board failing.
What profile are you using when you print it? I would try generic vinyl 1, and set the profile to density control only as this can also give better prints.
You can also try lowering the print temperature as if it is too high this can sometimes cause problems

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you didn't change the o-rings when you changed the dampers, I would try that. The older the machine is, the more likely it is that they aren't sealing properly.

woodworm

The cap tops won't really make that much difference, it is mainly the dampers. The heads need to have a constant supply of ink otherwise some areas will have more dense areas. How are your test prints looking in service mode? This will show if the larger and smaller nozzles are firing correctly.
It could also be an issue with the print carriage board failing.
What profile are you using when you print it? I would try generic vinyl 1, and set the profile to density control only as this can also give better prints.
You can also try lowering the print temperature as if it is too high this can sometimes cause problems
ok, i'll try the service mode print.
The prints where done with density control only. I tried various profiles already, with no change in the result.
temperatures i tried from off to 40° - no notable difference what these strange "waves" are concerned.
a carriage board failing... huh i would have to replace just to test. Maybe i will, if everything else won't work.

cornholio

Check the media feed by printing horizontal hairlines.
SP-540 have allways been notorious for ink starvation issues.
I was in contact with Roland at the time the printer was introduced. (must be 20 years ago)
They finally acknowledged the problem and had no solution.
They started using wider tubing in later machines(from VP-540 onwards)

damonCA21

Does it only do it on greys, or on other colours as well? CMYK printers aren't great at printing grey tones anyway, so it may be one of those annoying cases where your printer just doesnt like the artwork and there isn't much you can do to fix it