• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting into signage, Mutoh 1204 or roland versaart re-640

tmar

Hi everyone. I am new and been thinking of getting into the print business. I love graphic design and now I am looking to get into it. I have used vinyl before so I have the usual stuff. I would like to make posters, car wraps, banners, stickers etc etc. One of my friends has a contour cutter so I don't need a printer that prints and cuts. So here is what I have found so far.

I have found a USED mutoh 1204 (around 4-7 years old) for around $4000... Doesn't have much use but there was these lines running horizontal whenever they printed out a couple of test pages for me to see it working. They had the printer in storage for about 2 weeks before being out and used again and was used on and off before. It looks new and wasn't put to a lot of use. Anyways, for instance whenever we printed something the color blue, yellow and red had these faint lines, the red would have a lighter red lines and the yellow would have a lighter yellow line going horizontal as well; Same goes for the blue. Some of the pictures looked a bit fuzzy but I am guessing it must of been the resolution of the photos I guess? I am a bit worried about purchasing a printer with these minor problems as I don't want to have to replace the heads. Another thing that caught my eye was that the printer printed a long vertical line on the edges of the paper with minor spillage? it was a black line with ink dots/dust on it. is this normal? The next thing I noticed was that there was minor ink spots in other parts of the art where they didn't need to be, is this an issue?

My next option is a Versaart re-640. It's new and I am deciding which one to get. I am going back and forth on this and it's a really difficult decision.

Can you guys give me your personal thoughts on this?

goforit14

I have the same mutoh, its a grat machine. sounds like you need to check out the head, if they had it stored the ink dried up, if its true it just been a few weeks try to do a self clean , put some media and print out a nozzle check(theres a button press for 2 seconds ) you should see many lines cmyk
the pattern looks like a grid if you see some lines missing it means the head is clogged for 4000 its a good price if it was printing good. you wont find anything cheaper that actually works . do the test if it doesnt look too bad you can clean the head by adding a few drops of solvent cleaning fluid.

the colors might come out different if you dont have the right profile set up

pm me if you have any questions

S

spmracing

Even with having to buy a new head and dampers its a good deal.. Mines 7 years old and a freaking tank.. I've only put two new heads in mine and i've used it 4 days a week, 7 hours a day..