• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting into the larger Business

FMVinyl

Ok so I have been doing cad cut vinyl for about 6 years now. I started out in a flea market and about 3 years ago got a store front. I have been pretty successful and have also added screen printing in house. Most of our business is with other small business. My question is what is the right direction to go in if I would like to try getting in with the larger business? I guess I just don't know where to start in getting my foot in the door. Any guidance will be very helpful to me.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Sounds like you need to do a capability assessment and a market analysis.

In other words, what are you capable of doing, or outsourcing?

What does a "larger business" customer need?

With so many dealers offering "easy credit" these days, you'd be surprised at the number of people who run right out and buy equipment to serve a market / customer they know absolutely nothing about. Or they enter a market in which they are poorly prepared to serve. Don't rely solely on the equipment dealer to give you solid information about these markets.

Another possibility is to expand your business with your present customers. Do they have other needs that you could meet with only minimal or modest investments? That would be the first place to start.

Sometimes in the quest for growth, it's easy to lose focus. A good business plan, and marketing plan will help you stay on track.

When all is said and done, two words best sum it up: "Due Diligence"

On a side note, offering excellent products and outstanding customer service are two secrets that customers find very hard to keep. Those two factors are key elements to growing your business.

JB

Last edited:

signswi

Can you define what you mean by larger business? Do you mean bigger corporations, or more profitable segments of the industry, or repeat work, or large single orders...? Are you looking to get into digital print fulfillment, or are you wanting to go after whales in your existing industries...?

Craig Sjoquist

Just knock on doors like smaller business, change your marketing strategy use the internet better to find contacts, join business groups, bid on Government jobs and other advertised bids.

Warning have the cash on hand to lose on each job, since payment may not come for months.

FMVinyl

This is very helpful info. I guess it is really something that I need to look at to see what I can offer the "larger companies" I have been happy with what we have been doing this far but just really want to be able to take it to the next level. What James had posted really makes alot of since. I visit a lot of the other sign forums but i really like the professionalism that this one has as this is the level that I would like to be at. thanks

SignStudent

This is very helpful info. I guess it is really something that I need to look at to see what I can offer the "larger companies" I have been happy with what we have been doing this far but just really want to be able to take it to the next level. What James had posted really makes alot of since. I visit a lot of the other sign forums but i really like the professionalism that this one has as this is the level that I would like to be at. thanks

Protip: Work on your spelling, punctuation, and grammar before contacting these "larger companies."

Mosh

Bigger is not always better...At one time I had 12 employees. since 1988 I have went from 1 to 5 to 12 and back to 1...unless you want to be a business-person and not a sign artist get all you can...I came to the realization I want to be an artist and screw the running a company deal. I make the same either way....farming.