• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting my Roland CX-24 to cut

DreherSigns

I've been in the business for 34 years, learning the brushwork, but when the software industry came alive, like many, I had to become adept in computer technology. And there' s where my life took a nasty turn.

I've been working in Flexi 7.0 (winXP) with a Roland Camm1 CX-24 since 2003. Connection to cutter was a parallel port. No problems for 4 years until this April when I took on a virus and killed my PC.

I now have a custome made PC with XP. Flexi 7.0 is installed and performs fine. Still using the CX-24.

Here's thr problem: I had to purchase a new cable for the connection to the Roland. I bought a Sabrent (brand name) USB to Parallel (printerIEEE 1284). When I send work to cutter, "send now" is missing in the sending mode.

It seems the information cannot find the cable. Preferences are set at USB001. All the support gurus from Flexi say it is a cable, USB or cutter issue. I'm thinking it is a cable issue. It doesn't work well with Roland products.

I've downloaded all sorts of drivers and have hours of confused labor in this issue.

Any ideas here. Thanks

OldPaint

you sayin the computer you had built does NOT HAVE A PRINTER PORT? only USB?
if that is so you need to take it back where they built it and tell them to get a MOTHERBOARD WITH A PRINTER PORT ON IT....or they can add a PCI CARD that had a PRINTER PORT on it.

i had the same problem....

we just bought the same Roland plotter that you use. As shop manager, I take care of all the computer and vinyl jobs and I had the same problem when I ran the plotter for the first time. My situation is as follows: I used a serial cable that was disconnected off my Gerber Envision 375 (this cable has serial connections on both ends). I used the CD-ROM to install the driver, the first job ran fine, then after that, it just seemed like the data would just disappear. After hours of trial and error, I figured that you can only have one driver installed on one connection because I had cable errors appear on the Roland, then when I reconnected it back to the Gerber, the data wouldn't go through either. I figured out the problem when I uninstalled any drivers I put in. Thats when the data to the Gerber worked again. So I believe your mistake was when you mentioned that "you downloaded all sorts of drivers" because that was the problem in my case. This is only a possibility, it can save you lots of bucks like it did for us, we were about to pay a lot to have a computer expert come down. Let me know if this works for you too. Good luck!

Leo Estevez-shop manager
Max Customs
Huntington Station, NY

DreherSigns

Thank you all..............

Thanks everyone for responding.

I have a feeling you are right about going back to the LPT1 port. I spent $50. on Flexi's new HASP USB key but that's the way this stuff with computers go.

I'll post my results.

Thanks again and good luck in the business.