• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting New Clients

albin

Hey everyone, just a bit about me to set up the background story. I have been in the sign industry for 8 years now and have a pretty solid foundation. I worked at a shop here in town for 4 years before moving to finish school. While in school I worked at another shop nearly full time till ol graduation day. After graduation I was pumped to start my own shop... but I have a problem... no customers! Well maybe thats an exaggeration, I have a few. The clients I have are really happy with the work I have done for them and have been helping me with some word of mouth, but its been slow.

So my question is when you guys first started, think back to the beginning, what did you do to get new clients? What worked and what didn't?

Thanks for any advice, i need it. :)

threeputt

First of all, welcome to the board.

Clients are everywhere, obviously. You don't state whether your current locations affords much in the way of exposure, though.

If you've a storefront, I think I'd be inclined to cover the windows (at first, in the early going) with large displays. Something quite splashy. That'll be certain to attract attention.

Use clubs, groups and all occasions to meet potential customers. Keep cards handy.

albin

Thanks for the quick response, I guess a little more info would be helpful.

I run my shop from my house. This has been both good and bad because my overhead is super low but so is my exposure.

DarbySign

Try your local Chamber or Commerce. If your town's CoC doesn't seem very active, check out the surrounding towns. In my area, the average annual dues are around $250/year.

The catch is that you have to get involved. It can get discouraging when you start to see the same collection of bankers and financial planners at every meeting, but I've found that most of the time there is at least one new person who could be a potential good customer at any given event. If you don't have the time or inclination to go to the open houses, networking events, or seminars then being a member isn't worth it.

I've worked out plenty of trades with my chamber for sponsorships and donations, so that my work is hanging in every corner of their office. I get constant referrals from them, and there are actually some really cool people that are fun to hang out with.

TheSnowman

If you are just working out of your house, it could take years to become known unless you are doing serious advertising. We weren't out of a HOUSE, but before buying the company from my grandparents, we were just on their property. After 25 years, they had a steady business were you could count on business everyday, but it took a while.

I bought an established business because I didn't have to patience or ambition I guess to want to build it from scratch on my own. We moved to a store front now downtown, and have a TON of people stopping by all the time, but I still am not convinced that I am actually doing any better as far as the debt to income ratio that comes with a store front.

OneUpTenn

Dont be afraid to ASK for business. Ask your existing customers to refer you. Dont assume that they will on their own.

the first and easiest thing to do is to ask your happy clients for referals, you have a much better chance of making contact with a potential new client from a referal than a cold call. when you hand your client their sign and they hand you the 50% they owe you (because you are getting a deposit correct? ;) and they say "thank you for doing such a great job" you reply "thank you for your business who do you know that would benefit from my products and services" or something to that effect...and guess what they will give you referals... you may even want to go as far as asking them to make an introduction or at the very least send the potential referal (which is now a potential client) an introduction email or make a phone call on your behalf so that you are not going in cold. if you do this with all of your clients you will build a strong customer base that is constantly generating new referals, any business that has not implemented a referal program really needs to they are losing easy sales.

get involved with your community...get involved with the COC..get involved with networking groups...get involved the business is not going to come to you if you are not actively letting people know you are there and what you do.

take a minute and think about the clients that you have today. who are your most profitable clients? who are the clients that you enjoy doing work for? when you identify the people that you want to work for/with go out there and target those people and businesses. i would much rather take this approach than cold calling to any and every business but if you have no other plan get out there and knock on doors.

make certain that you have an updated portfolio, make sure you are making samples of the work you want to do. make sure you have sample materials with you. make sure you can take an order on the spot if someone is prepared to make a purchase.

after each and every sale make sure you send out a thank you card. ask your current clients what else you can help them with. offer them complimentary products (if there logo is on it you should have a resource, a working relationship, a wholeseller, whatever..so that you can sell those items to them, business cards, letterhead, other corporate collateral, pens, shirts, hats, the list goes on)...and make sure you ask for those referals..i can not say it enough...referals referals referals they are the surest fastest and most painless (imo) way of building a business.

albin

Thanks for the advice! I will start perusing referrals more aggressively for sure. I think the thank you notes is a good idea too, and will get on it.

Craig Sjoquist

Re-reads DanStrickers post myself ... yup that will work ..Ive done it before and I'll do again ..thanks

Oh your portfolio is very important .mine works alot better since I got it on my laptop nice big pictures come up as a slide show ..job sold.. and I sure need to update my website egad it's poor
as you do jobs ..get those before and after shots best sellers for sure.

artbot

i'm in the art business. and designers and art consultants often source graphics, reverse acrylic mounted panels, etc for hospitals and banks. i'd start with art consulting firms. that is a piece of cake way to get projects.

Malkin

In addition to your local Chamber, networking groups such as BNI can be a great way for a new business to get their name out in the community.
These work best if the group is active, focused on business-to-business, and you can dedicate the time it takes to make it work.

Jon Aston

Lots of good advice above.

I don't have much time to add to it at present, but would suggest that you take me up on my free, no obligation, 90 minute consultation offer. Check me out first.

Sorry to sound like a commercial... not really my style. As I said, just pressed for time.

Ponto

the first and easiest thing to do is to ask your happy clients for referals, you have a much better chance of making contact with a potential new client from a referal than a cold call. when you hand your client their sign and they hand you the 50% they owe you (because you are getting a deposit correct? ;) and they say "thank you for doing such a great job" you reply "thank you for your business who do you know that would benefit from my products and services" or something to that effect...and guess what they will give you referals... you may even want to go as far as asking them to make an introduction or at the very least send the potential referal (which is now a potential client) an introduction email or make a phone call on your behalf so that you are not going in cold. if you do this with all of your clients you will build a strong customer base that is constantly generating new referals, any business that has not implemented a referal program really needs to they are losing easy sales.

get involved with your community...get involved with the COC..get involved with networking groups...get involved the business is not going to come to you if you are not actively letting people know you are there and what you do.

take a minute and think about the clients that you have today. who are your most profitable clients? who are the clients that you enjoy doing work for? when you identify the people that you want to work for/with go out there and target those people and businesses. i would much rather take this approach than cold calling to any and every business but if you have no other plan get out there and knock on doors.

make certain that you have an updated portfolio, make sure you are making samples of the work you want to do. make sure you have sample materials with you. make sure you can take an order on the spot if someone is prepared to make a purchase.

after each and every sale make sure you send out a thank you card. ask your current clients what else you can help them with. offer them complimentary products (if there logo is on it you should have a resource, a working relationship, a wholeseller, whatever..so that you can sell those items to them, business cards, letterhead, other corporate collateral, pens, shirts, hats, the list goes on)...and make sure you ask for those referals..i can not say it enough...referals referals referals they are the surest fastest and most painless (imo) way of building a business.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

JP