• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting Payment

ocean502

Hello
I have a sign shop in a small town. I have an ongoing problem getting paid for my jobs. The worst payers are the people who personally know me. Being from a small town that is most customers. I started whipping out an invoice when they picked up their jobs (or when they order.) They say, "okay thanks we'll get this to you/wife has the checkbook/we do billing on Fridays." I'm thinking B.S. go to the fricken ATM! I don't expect to pay for things later. Eventully they pay me, usually after I have to remind them. I don't want to offend them, but feel they are being rude not paying me when the job is done. I let them walk out the door and kick myself for not being more aggresive. Any tips would be helpful! Thanks Ü

MachServTech

Just put in a policy (and put it everywhere) Just like at my doctor/vet/dentist Payment for service is due at delivery. (otherwise no signs for you) Have a Nice Day.

Or something to that effect. I ask for a cc deposit before I start any job.

32bantum

Post a sign in plain view that says something to the effect " Payment due in full upon reciept of product". Make sure they understand your policy before starting the job. I have a good customer whom I require to come by and pay me cash in full before I start any job for him because he forgot to pay me for a job and I had to go collect. Everyone else 50% upfront, balance at time of pickup.

ocean502

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but sign going up as we speak..I do like the banner idea..thanks Ü

Mainframe

Hello Mr Customer your sign is ready, the balance is x amount, you will need a check or cash to pick it up, make it payable to xyz signs, do you have any idea when you will be in to pick it up? Thanks, look forward to seeing you, this sign looks awesome!

S

scarface

payment up first, plain and simple.

I have learned to not trust good customers or friends. Sad but true.

I was walked all over before and you just have to put your foot down because if not they obviously don't respect you or your business.

jbennett

Post a sign in plain view that says something to the effect " Payment due in full upon reciept of product". Make sure they understand your policy before starting the job. I have a good customer whom I require to come by and pay me cash in full before I start any job for him because he forgot to pay me for a job and I had to go collect. Everyone else 50% upfront, balance at time of pickup.

Most of the people that want to use the "grab now pay whenever I feel like it or am guilted into it" methods are ablivious to signs that say things like "Payment due in full upon reciept of product". Tey feel that applies to everyone else and they are "special". With hard economic times I am much more finding people wanting to be "friends" and wanting something for next to nothing. It doesnt bother me as bad if someone makes these type arrangements up front, but when they are "sprung" on you and it is money you are counting on, it is highly irritating, especially if they have put the rush on you to get it done!!

weaselboogie

If they're as casual as giving you a 'whenever we get around to it' you could give them a quick causal call with a 'would really appreciate you paying off your remaining balance. '.

For any new jobs, let them know of your new policy.... Payment at time of completion.

The benefit of a small town is that EVERYONE TALKS. The last think that the debtor wants is everyone in town knowing that they owe you money.

ocean502

Thats funny you say that because, my husband suggested a sign...and I said, "well they don't think its meant for them." I think it will help..I think telling them the balance when I call for them to pick it up will help also. And it does stink when you are counting on the money, especially when it's a big check. I guess I don't want them to think I am money hungry. The more I'm pushed the more I push back..

jbennett

If they're as casual as giving you a 'whenever we get around to it' you could give them a quick causal call with a 'would really appreciate you paying off your remaining balance. '.

For any new jobs, let them know of your new policy.... Payment at time of completion.

The benefit of a small town is that EVERYONE TALKS. The last think that the debtor wants is everyone in town knowing that they owe you money.

I agree with everything you are saying weaselboogie, but my experiences show that if they have to be "dunned" for the money, they usually get mad at YOU or claim many moons after that the work was somehow sub-par. How is that for logic? "I owe this guy money, boy he makes me angry". Makes no sense!!

ocean502

Maybe I can install a remote door lock before they get out the front door without paying, a couple of sirens, police strobe lights...lol..thanks everyone. Have a great day!

HaroldDesign

Let customers know that if they do not pay you will track them down, take back what you made them, and beat them with it.

trik

I only have a few customers who I give a time frame to pay, mainly because I have to wait for their corporate to pay. But last year I starting demanding payment in full when the job was finished, and always have collected a deposit. I used to not collect deposits on a $100 banner, but I do now...lol

Also I call the customer, and let them know that I will need a check when I arrive to install the sign, they say sure no problem. When I show up, if they don't have the check, I give them 30 minutes to get it, if they still don't have it, back to the shop, and they get billed my time wasted. This has only happened once, but it worked and they paid:)

Sticky Signs

Unfortunately, I'm not set up to take credit cards. I wish I was so I could keep the cards on file and bill them as we go. 50% deposit, bam, on the card. Balance, bam, on the card. Problem solved.

imagep

Hello Mr Customer your sign is ready, the balance is x amount, you will need a check or cash to pick it up, make it payable to xyz signs, do you have any idea when you will be in to pick it up? Thanks, look forward to seeing you, this sign looks awesome!

Perfect! :thumb:

imagep

I agree with everything you are saying weaselboogie, but my experiences show that if they have to be "dunned" for the money, they usually get mad at YOU or claim many moons after that the work was somehow sub-par. How is that for logic? "I owe this guy money, boy he makes me angry". Makes no sense!!

Years ago I had a guy who owed us something like $6. I waited several months before I sent him a statement. He came in and paid with pennies. Another guy owed us less than $50, got furious when we sent him a statement, called up and said that that amount was nothing, I asked: "since it was nothing to him, why did he not bother to pay it".

On a couple of occasions I had companies owing us thousands, I ended up threatening to kill them and their families. Both times I got paid the next day. One of them then fled the country and hired a bodyguard. Both companies filed bankruptcy a few months later. The funny thing about this is that I have not gotton into an actual fist fight since 10th grade.

All of those customers paid, and never came back. Mission accomplished.

imagep

Hello
I have a sign shop in a small town. I have an ongoing problem getting paid for my jobs. The worst payers are the people who personally know me. Being from a small town that is most customers. I started whipping out an invoice when they picked up their jobs (or when they order.) They say, "okay thanks we'll get this to you/wife has the checkbook/we do billing on Fridays." I'm thinking B.S. go to the fricken ATM! I don't expect to pay for things later. Eventully they pay me, usually after I have to remind them. I don't want to offend them, but feel they are being rude not paying me when the job is done. I let them walk out the door and kick myself for not being more aggresive. Any tips would be helpful! Thanks Ü

I try to avoid doing business with friends and family, or anyone who indicates that they believe they are doing me a favor by purchasing from us. It rarely turns out well.

As often as not they are shocked at what we charge for just one yardsign, and they get offended that we wont print them one tshirt or 50 business cards. Truthfully, I really only want to do business with "REAL" companies, never indivuals or the self employed.

When we do do something for a friend or family member, I usually just do it for free.