• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

getting started as a printer tech

MachServTech

Major dealers (Grimco, Advantage, Proveer, etc.) have relationships with the printer manufacturers. The dealers generally pay for the technician to be trained at the manufacturers training facility.

Freese

Major dealers (Grimco, Advantage, Proveer, etc.) have relationships with the printer manufacturers. The dealers generally pay for the technician to be trained at the manufacturers training facility.

I have noticed more and more of the manufacturers are handling the service of all these machines.

For example, Grimco may sell the HP Latex, but all of the hardware service goes through HP.

MachServTech

HP will never have enough technicians to handle all of the printers they have in the field. HP relies on the larger dealers to provide service, some dealers that are not certified will rely on the HP techs to come out, but that always takes longer.

SPCAE_86

Some manufacturers require dealers to have a trained technician on staff. That means that the dealer pays to send the person to the manufacturer to become trained. I have been trained by Roland to work on the Eco-Sol printers. With that training I have also worked on Epson, Mimaki, Mutoh, and Brother. Once you have an understanding on how to work on an wide format inkjet printer you should be able to work on most. Keep in mind that it may not be so easy to obtain parts for all printers. You will also need access to service manuals and software. Epson does not provide downloads of the service software (used to reset counters and perform tests) but requires you to send in your computer so they can upload and unlock the software. You will also need the unlock codes for machines to launch their service modes. The repair service offered by dealers and manufactures is a very profitable business and they do not want competitors taking that revenue. Service on printers will cost the end user between $70-$125 per hour plus travel costs if not under warranty.