• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting started. Need help

GFX119

I am new to doing vinyl graphics/wraps but not new to design(mostly airbrushing). I want to design and print wraps for R/C vehicles. I would also like to do Motocross graphics number plates etc..
Would the New Roland BN-20 be good for this application? Gerber EDGE? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CS-SignSupply-TT

The BN-20 is the new mini/desktop VersaCamm from Roland. Decal and MotoCross applications would do well on the BN-20. However, if you get into large quantities and quick turnaround the BN-20 will not do the job.

GFX119

From searching the forum I hear it is slow. Not really worried about that now but it could become an issue down the road.
Any Suggestions for other machines?
Roland SP-300?
Budget - looking at printers/cutters $15,000 and under
Lamination - I would imagine I would need to since the bodies takes some abuse but again I am new to this
Smallest size - Well Motocross graphics would be the largest application for now.
Room - Basement of my house.
Thanks for the help guys ;)

CRD

For the time being I would suggest to outsource your printing and lamination to see if it works at all.
Enough wholesales people here to help you to start.

I started to do model car wrapping a few years back and still outsource. :) Check Custom Racing Decal if you like to know what I do.

If you have the money then go for a Roland P&C version.
The BN20 will work but be aware the media to print on does not come in the witdh the BN20 supports. So you always have to cut the media to proper size.

Let me know your progress.

Paco

GFX119

Thanks alot for the info.
Checked your site out, nice work! That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to do.
So do you just design in AI or Corel then send to a local printer?
Do you do your own templates?

petesign

Can someone tell me why people are always starting out to wrap cars, motorcycles, or RC cars? You'd think there would be a shop on every corner doing that by now.

Learn to airbrush, save yourself the heartache. :thumb:

** ok, i realize that was a little mean, so I am putting this disclaimer... let me put it another way, don't buy all of that expensive machinery to do an unknown - pay someone to produce the graphics for you until you canjustify buying a $15000 printer and cutter, another $5000 laminator, building a production room, etc. Your start up - is going to eat you alive... or if you go cheap, and your business grows, you will have to turn around and buy everything again. I'd recommend buying a decent plotter to do cut vinyl graphics for your friends with the r/c cars, and contacting a vendor on here to do your prints on here. I really am trying to help you out... it's just AMAZING how many people come on this forum and want to start a company wrapping racecars, or something like that. Order the vinyl to wrap your car first, and see where it goes. There's a LOT of trial and error, which gets expensive, and until you are going every day full steam, the rewards can be small.

signswi

Not a great market you're trying to capture. BN-20 looks interesting but you'll need a much bigger client pool to justify it.

Do you have any graphic design (not just airbrushing, that's mostly graphic arts), prepress or digital production experience at all, or are you leaping into multiple new careers...?

GFX119

As I said, I already do this and have too much work. I would prefer to design on computer and print then paint with airbrush.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to look into sending work out to get started.

Funny how people get all in a huff when someone looks for advice. geesh

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

As I said, I already do this and have too much work. I would prefer to design on computer and print then paint with airbrush.

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to look into sending work out to get started.

Funny how people get all in a huff when someone looks for advice. geesh

I don't think it's so much a "a huff" as much as it is them "slapping themselves on the forehead" when they see someone starting out where they most likely did and realized what they went through. Also with that knowledge is that it's not as simple as just getting started. Perhaps some of us get a little offended that someone would assume it was easy enough to just pick up and start doing. Kinda takes the wind out of thier sails when they've worked so long so hard (blood sweat and tears for sure) to get to where we are now.
Don't worry, most of us started the same way. Either working for someone who did it, then started our own. Or just jumped in with both feet and landed hard a bunch until we became the all knowing, all talented seasoned "Professionals" we are today. Good Luck.

CRD

I design the templates and all the graphics myselfe.
Do all the design in Corel X4 and if needed PS,contour cut and if needed apply the decals for the customers.
All printjobs are outsourced.
It all started as a joke a few years back. :Oops:

Paco

Jim Doggett