• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Getting text straight using oneway vision?

Roto

Hey Guys,

Does anybody have a technique for setting up artwork for the rear window of vehicles and keeping the text visually straight once the oneway is applied?

Most domestic car's rear windows have a double breaking curve and straight lines of text curve down at the ends.

I have heard that there are techniques that are used, if any experts would like to share that would be great.

Many thanks for any shares. :smile:

Roto

Roto

Thanks signage, I am pretty right with cut vinyl across the top of a windscreen.

What I am after is the rear windscreen full coverage with what we call Oneway Vision.

I have attached a photo I got of the web to show what I mean.

The problem is that on very curved screens some with braking curves in both directions a line of text e.g. a web address can really arc up or downwards unless compensated for.

What I am looking for is a technique to compensate for all sorts of different curves. :omg:

I have been told there are ways of doing this!

car.jpg

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Since literally every model of vehicle is different in this respect the only way I've been able to make it truly work is to essentially make a pattern for the specific model vehicle. I do this by taking some low tack application tape and basically cover the entire window with that. Then I outline the outside edge of the glass with a pencil, then draw some straight lines onto it along with some measurements. Last step is I carefully remove the app tape, bring that inside, tack it up on a wall and photograph it (a decent distance away to minimize lens barrel distortion and using a tripod). Bring the photo into Photoshop, use PT Lens to further correct lens distortion, crop and adjust size to known measurements, then bring that into Illustrator and create a template for the window. Its a bit of a fiddly process that takes a good half an hour of work and I do charge for it....