• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ghost flames?

Aklaim

I have a client that is requesting vinyl ghost flames for his truck. The truck is going to be in a magazine and featured at the SEMA show in November. I've never seen, done, or heard of doing ghost flames with vinyl so I thought maybe some of you fine people might have some insight to this. Thoughts? Ideas? I'm stumped on this one.

Maxphobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6amavvPuymc&feature=related

here ya go man but this process requires clear coating the vehicle afterward.

On a side note, real ghost flames at a shop usually require at least a 5,000 dollar up front charge, as they are the hardest effect to pull off correctly and take a lot of time and planning to achieve.but as for vinyl ghosty flames I think these look pretty sweet ^___^

showcase 66

If you are just doing ghost flames, I would have them painted. Acutally just painted some ontop of my father in laws GTO this weekend. Dont think you can get the same look as painting them.

Attachments

• gto1.jpg
    gto1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 94
  • gto2.jpg
    gto2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 75

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking, it is an effect performed by painting in a subtle color of the vehicle color itself. This is easy to do when painting, but with vinyls, being a 'Show Truck'.... your client is cheating, but toady..... who isn't ??

If you have a red vehicle, go to either side of his red and that could be your color. Like a sightly orange-colored red or a slightly purplish red or marronie color. Knowing the color wheel will definitely help you in your quest for the right color.

Anyway, it's supposed to just slightly show up and using old flip-flop paint was a really cool way of doing it back in the 70's. I spray painted quite a few back in the day and this created an even neater look. It only came out on certain angles or lighting. We used to hand stripe metallic cars with the same color as the body and leave out the metallic effects and that really looked cool, too. We always called it and understated elegance.... and that's just what it was.

R08

I think it's done by printing about a 20% halftone of the flames in grayscale or white on clear. Here's some pics and info on one site.

The truck on the lower-right on the page you suggested looks like it has etch type vinyl on it.
My son has used that stuff to put ghost-type graphics on his guitar. Not sure if he did his car yet but he was talking about it.

phototec

I have a client that is requesting vinyl ghost flames for his truck. The truck is going to be in a magazine and featured at the SEMA show in November. I've never seen, done, or heard of doing ghost flames with vinyl so I thought maybe some of you fine people might have some insight to this. Thoughts? Ideas? I'm stumped on this one.

In the past (years ago), I used True Shadow vinyl from Avery.

Here are some links that may help:

http://www.signforums.com/forums/showthread.php?71183-Ghost-Flames-And-Images&

http://www.signforums.com/forums/showthread.php?22096-What-Material-Is-Best-For-Making-Ghost-Flames&

http://www.hotrodworks.net/decal/ghost.html

http://www.vinylgraphics.net/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=50&cat=Ghost+Flames

:rock-n-roll:

ForgeInc

whatever you do, i would try and print some sort of subtle shadow effect or slight color shift. if you just cut out a frosted material or similar and apply it'll look flat and tacky.

cartoad

Have a customer asking to do this on his black truck, reading thru this, I looked up Avery and see that they had a SF100 true shadow vinyl, which is what I think the references were to. So I called Fellers, and they no longer stock it, asked about special order, and Avery has discontinued it (must have been a bomb). Any suggestions as where to to go on this?
thanks

Aklaim

Avery does in fact still make True Shadow. They just sent me 10 samples last week. It's not what I would call a ghost flame, but I think it will work for what I need. Call them directly and ask for the sample dept.

dms505

I'm doing something similar to this with my fathers motorcycle. It's a bit deeper than cherry red and I'm putting oracal purple red on it. He wanted gloss white and I talked him out of it. I'll post it up when it's done.And of course he wants me to charge him full price for the custom design and install on his bike. No way I can charge my dad what I'd charge a customer lol. He has no idea what a REAL custom motorcycle or car design is worth.

Sideshow

I painted bikes before I got into vinyl, Ghost flames was one of my fav. it can be done ( on Vinyl ) by first matching the pantone of the cars color, taking 1-2 shades deeper OR lighter, depending on the customers idea. then using clear materiaL, print with gradient, ghost flames you dont want a hard outline, you want it to appear, but not really be apparant.

Mosh

I had a Model A Rod with G-Flames. Painted it blue then masked the flames and shot them with a pearl overcoat. Then shot the whole car with 10 coats of clear.
You couldn't even feel the flames at all.

Sideshow

I had a Model A Rod with G-Flames. Painted it blue then masked the flames and shot them with a pearl overcoat. Then shot the whole car with 10 coats of clear.
You couldn't even feel the flames at all.

NICE. another good one!!. House of Kolor is my friend :)