• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ghosting on stainless

Cynosure

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We did a quick job for a local hotel where they wanted a logo on their elevator door for the weekend. Used oracal 3164ra film. After only 4 days, it was a bear to remove and left a ghost in the door. Is it something in the stainless reacting? Any tips on how to clean it without damaging the stainless? Any help as always is appreciated..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure, it's not a stain. Inside, 4 days, reactions...... that's not ghosting.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I hear stainless steel cleaner works well to clean stainless steel.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Oracal on bare glass or metal... Yeah i bet it was a bear! Are you sure you aren't looking at adhesive left behind?

d fleming

Phototex works great on elevator doors and leaves no residue. You're most likely going to have to remove leftover adhesive and then polish doors.

Cynosure

Oracal on bare glass or metal... Yeah i bet it was a bear! Are you sure you aren't looking at adhesive left behind?
There was adhesive left behind, which rapid remover did get rid of. Door felt smooth to the touch, but a ghost remained. Wd40 did seem to polish it up a bit.

Cynosure

Phototex works great on elevator doors and leaves no residue. You're most likely going to have to remove leftover adhesive and then polish doors.
Polish the doors? Not that you're an elevator service man...but any tips on this process? We talking turtle wax here or something bigger?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Brushed stainless will have microscopic "open grains" that will hold residue.

We do stone engraving and sometimes have issues with adhesive backed sandblasting stencils leaving a image on open-grained (not polished) stone and it takes months to dissipate outdoors with the UV. When that happens, we make a poultice from stone dust and solvent. When the solvent evaporates, capillary action pulls the contaminates up into the poultice and is then swept away.

In your case, it's going to be difficult to hang a poultice on a door. I would take a piece of news print or kraft paper and hold it against the wall and mist it with solvent from a spray bottle. As it saturates, it will naturally stick to the metal, and when it's completely dried it will fall to the floor. Do it again, but use an aqueous based cleaner instead of a solvent. The capillary action of the cellulose fibers may just do the trick in pulling out the contaminants.

If all else fails, use rubbing (buffing) compound or swirl mark remover and polish in the direction of the grain. I grew up in a body shop and I've seen the miracles that stuff can work.

JB

Last edited:

Cynosure

Brushed stainless will have microscopic "open grains" that will hold residue.

We do stone engraving and sometimes have issues with adhesive backed sandblasting stencils leaving a image on open-grained (not polished) stone and it takes months to dissipate outdoors with the UV. When that happens, we make a poultice from stone dust and solvent. When the solvent evaporates, capillary action pulls the contaminates up into the poultice and is then swept away.

In your case, it's going to be difficult to hang a poultice on a door. I would take a piece of news print or kraft paper and hold it against the wall and mist it with solvent from a spray bottle. As it saturates, it will naturally stick to the metal, and when it's completely dried it will fall to the floor. Do it again, but use an aqueous based cleaner instead of a solvent. The capillary action of the cellulose fibers may just do the trick in pulling out the contaminants.

If all else fails, use rubbing (buffing) compound or swirl mark remover and polish in the direction of the grain. I grew up in a body shop and I've seen the miracles that stuff can work.

JB
Thank you, I will give it a go

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with stainless steel drinking cups. I found that regular stainless steel polish took the ghosting away
Same thing used for stainless appliances. One note if you get the spray. Let it dry before removing, like waxing a car.
Its cheap, worth a try.

Cynosure

I had the same problem with stainless steel drinking cups. I found that regular stainless steel polish took the ghosting away
Same thing used for stainless appliances. One note if you get the spray. Let it dry before removing, like waxing a car.
Its cheap, worth a try.
I used a cleaner and polish in one...maybe a straight polish is the way to go. Thank you