• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ghosts in the machine

sardocs

I've done a few vehicle windows lately that showed some ghosting in the dark tinted glass after the existing design was removed. We had installed the vinyl originally about a year or so ago, then the customers had a company name change. The new design hides the marks for the most part, but the ghost of the last design is still visible, especially when a bit of moisture coats the glass. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a way to remove the hazy image. The glass was cleaned with rapid remover first, then rapid tac, then windex and then a commercial wax and grease remover. Still gettin' the haze.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some kinda glass compound. Has a little grit in it and will take the year's worth of grime buildup and other contaminates off. Kinda like the marks your wipers make after years of wiping the same area.

sardocs

Thanks, Gino. I did think about using a polishing compound or a clay bar, but I'm not sure if the ghosting is a residue left behind from the old lettering or if it's actually removing a protective layer from on the glass. If that's the case I don't want to make it worse.These are all dark tinted glass panels on the rear sides of late model high-end SUV's. They look real clean until a little moisture settles on 'em. I know ghosting on the doors of trucks and in the gel-coat of boats will go away slowly, I hope glass is similar.