• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gimme my money!!

michsanford

I know this is common, so I want to get suggestions on it...

We are constantly chasing money, unfortunately, and have this one customer that is driving us crazy! It's right at $1000, and he keeps putting us off.

Any suggestions on how to collect? Thanks!

signage

50% down

50% due on delivery or installation, or the sign leave with us with additional charge for removal and re-installation!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Call the guy, even if you have to block your number and set up an appointment to go see him in person.

Calmly show him the invoice, what he owes you and how long it's taken up to this point.

Don't make any threats or get loud, just very businesslike explain to him you've been very, if not overly, understanding of him. You feel it's time he pays you and ask for a check in full at this time. Should he refuse, then tell him you will collect in a different manner. Sorry it had to come to this, but your unprofessional attitude towards paying your delinquent bills has forced your hands.

Now you sternly, but calmly tell him you will put this out on your front lawn................ just substitute your guy's name where appropriate.

Attachments

• pay your bill.jpg
    pay your bill.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 77

michsanford

Call the guy, even if you have to block your number and set up an appointment to go see him in person.

Calmly show him the invoice, what he owes you and how long it's taken up to this point.

Don't make any threats or get loud, just very businesslike explain to him you've been very, if not overly, understanding of him. You feel it's time he pays you and ask for a check in full at this time. Should he refuse, then tell him you will collect in a different manner. Sorry it had to come to this, but your unprofessional attitude towards paying your delinquent bills has forced your hands.

Now you sternly, but calmly tell him you will put this out on your front lawn................ just substitute your guy's name where appropriate.

Good suggestions! And GREAT sign!

petepaz

it's unfortunate but all business is getting like this. we don't so much have a problem getting the money, it's when you get the money. now days people pay in 45-60 days and with the larger companies they have a billing cycle so if your invoice is received the day after the cycle then you have to wait till the end of the next cycle to get paid. not too much you can do (unless you don't need the work) if you don't put up with it they will find someone who will then you lose the business. fortunately we are busy enough that it doesn't hurt too much but it does get rough sometimes.

Craig Sjoquist

Be there in person as much as you can, ...me everyday till paid even at $50 a day, or if I figured they playing games ... then I removed or destroy yup illegal but they are not earning from it & me not getting paid

Don't pay electric ya get cut off... why should a sign be different when all they is doing is playing a game on ya ...Why cause you are to trusting...to many jerks in the world & if that is how they play you make the rules.

Now if they are for real & unable I will do everything I can to help & be cool, hardly the case tho

Speaking of which has one to repaint over cause non payment & refuses to & they did pay a 50% deposit it was intentional to take advantage.

Remember a contract is only as good as the person that signs it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Pete..........

I don't think it's quite that way. Everyone of our bigger accounts pay in less then 10 days. They are big, professional and understand terms. I simply tell all of our customers, if we don't get paid within our terms, I can no longer give you good prices. I can't finance you and I won't.

It seems like all the bad pays are the little guys we have to go after for the second half or whatnot. It's a waste of time and effort to chase down $350 or $1,275 and not get paid for all the extra effort.

Perhaps we're lucky, but I don't tolerate late payments too well anymore, so we tell people up front, this WILL be due when you pick it up or before we go out and install it. Now, there are some exceptions and generally, we don't get burned, but it happens. We all make judgement calls that go south on us.

Ya know, this thread is inspiring a new policy sign in our showroom. It's forming and when it fully appears, I'll share it. It's gonna be along the same lines of our shop policy of washing vehicles. If we have to chase you down, for every day you go beyond payment in full will add an extra 25% each day. Any discounts taken, will be re-billed with an extra percentage added in. I hate frickin' paperwork and that's all these nitwits do..... create paperwork, more stamps, more trips to the post office, more phone calls, more worrying and.... and...... and.... Okay, I had it. One Million Dollars for all you deadbeats.......... yeah, that's the ticket.

michsanford

Yes, we're not "hurting" for the most part, but that money would be nice :).

What makes it worse is, I know they have it. I was Facebook stalking them, and they
recently had employee appreciation month where they gave away a brand new gas grill, which I am sure cost the same amount of what they owe us!

Tim Aucoin

I have to agree with Gino's points (well, maybe all except the million dollar thing! :smile: )
In most cases, the problem lies in the up-front communications. In our shop, if it is a new "face" walking in, calling, or e-mailing an order in, it is always payment up front before we lift a finger (in most cases). If they have a problem with that, then you know you will have a problem when it comes time to collect. Just go with your gut! Now, if it is an existing customer who has established credit, then we give them our standard 30 day terms. We've built up trust with them over the years and have to go on faith in this case. It's a little different here in the fact that we transitioned from a traditional "print shop" to a (digital print) & sign shop. A lot of our sign customers tend to be new walk-ins and/or door kickers. Obviously they get treated much different than our print customers who have been with us for several years (some for over 20).

Now, with all of that said, there are some exceptions. For example, we just did $800 worth of Golf Tournament signage for Bell Canada. We've never dealt with them before. For my US friends who may not know, Bell Canada is HUGE up here and have been around longer than some of you have been alive! The first thing the rep told us when he came to see us was that Bell Canada takes 60 days to pay, period. In a case like this, we have no problem extending credit. When a company this size comes to us for work and asks for terms, we say; "no problem, thank you for the order"! We've never been burned by the large corporations. Take it a step further... they pay for those terms. You would cringe if I told you exactly what the job was and you would wonder how I could get away with charging so much for so little. Well, the beauty of these large companies is that they (within reason) don't care so much about price as they do about service and reliability. You see, I will get paid the "interest" I'm due for carrying this debt for 60 days, the customer has their Golf Tournament signs, we are all happy. And what do you think the chances are that we will get repeat business from Bell Canada? :Big Laugh

Bottom line... go with your gut. Be smart. Have some business sense. :popcorn:

petepaz

Gino, it's the opposite for us. usually the smaller guys (order a few times a year) are cod and not so much of a problem. but our bigger companies like Honeywell, Crestron, Fuginon and so on are 45-60 days. I think one of our best deals is with the gov/military jobs because all the purchasing agents have their own credit cards to use so unless the bill is over $2500 we get paid right away.

Tim Aucoin

I think one of our best deals is with the gov/military jobs because all the purchasing agents have their own credit cards to use so unless the bill is over $2500 we get paid right away.

That's a sweet set-up Pete! I have a similar situation to that... We do a lot of work for Sleeman Brewery here (around $3-4K per month... digital prints, signs & banners), and I simply e-mail invoices to Reps at the end of the month. If there are no disputes (which there have never been in the last 3 years), then 3 days later I run through all charges on their Credit Cards we have on file. Works like a charm! :smile:
And for those who are thinking about the Credit Card fees we pay... those are built into their pricing! :Big Laugh

petepaz

That's a sweet set-up Pete! I have a similar situation to that... We do a lot of work for Sleeman Brewery here (around $3-4K per month... digital prints, signs & banners), and I simply e-mail invoices to Reps at the end of the month. If there are no disputes (which there have never been in the last 3 years), then 3 days later I run through all charges on their Credit Cards we have on file. Works like a charm! :smile:
And for those who are thinking about the Credit Card fees we pay... those are built into their pricing! :Big Laugh

that's the good stuff Tim