• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GINORMOUS sign

401Graphics

Ginormous sign.
18x8 feet.
what do you think would be the best way to build, and mount this sign? I was thinking 1" tube framing, or pressure treated 2x4 frame lag bolted to building, then covered in sheets of aluminum or aluminum composite. But that probably isn't the best looking way since that would create seams, but seams are probably going to happen with anything (beside a large banner).

Also how would you mount a new sign (non-lit) to metal poles without welding or drilling holes onto them?
The one mounted there currently is held on with 2x4s with large hose clamps which i think is kinda ghetto.

Attachments

• lifeblood.jpg
    lifeblood.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 20150511_175423.jpg
    20150511_175423.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 113

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
To keep it in house
Signspring is a merchant member here and sells a banner framing system that looks pretty good.

The band-it stuff is sold all over the place.
We get ours locally from an electrical contractor supply store.
Some of the big box hardware stores might carry it.

wayne k
guam usa

player

8' x 18' is not actually that large. It is just 4.5 4' x 8' signs or panels. Don't worry about seams. They are an acceptable part of signs, and structures of any type.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A few things.

Any reason you aren't centering the sign on the bricks ??
Those lines look a little dangerous, you might want to consider some electric blankets [not sure of the correct term for them... might be insulation blankets]
If you use a frame, seems won't matter.
The 20' idea is a good one.
It looks to be high in the air. How high is it ??

401Graphics

A few things.

Any reason you aren't centering the sign on the bricks ??
Those lines look a little dangerous, you might want to consider some electric blankets [not sure of the correct term for them... might be insulation blankets]
If you use a frame, seems won't matter.
The 20' idea is a good one.
It looks to be high in the air. How high is it ??
Yea I think i might go 20 foot instead.
And those wires scare me cuz its high voltage 3 phase. I'd like to stay away from that with my bucket truck.
I think its about 20 feet off the ground, I haven't gone out with the bucket truck to measure yet. Hopefully it isn't higher than my truck can go.

reQ

For stuff like that i do fabricate steel frames in house (welded square tubing / iron angles etc.) More money & time + requires some of the welding skills but way better than PT wood (specially in the long run)

J Hill Designs

For stuff like that i do fabricate steel frames in house (welded square tubing / iron angles etc.) More money & time + requires some of the welding skills but way better than PT wood (specially in the long run)

+1 actually - I would probably do a full frame with 1.5" aluminum angle, vertical ones placed every 4' for seams

lag bolt some top and bottom rails to the wall, hoist the whole sign as one up to the rails, slip it on, and use set screws to fasten it to the rails

Edit: if the weight is an issue fully assembled, then do assembly in house, remove panels, install frame, reinstall panels

2B

+1 increase the width to 20'

make a full metal frame and at each seam have a metal support, this way you can butt the seams together and then attach the panels to the metal supports so there is no seam separation

reQ

+1 actually - I would probably do a full frame with 1.5" aluminum angle, vertical ones placed every 4' for seams

lag bolt some top and bottom rails to the wall, hoist the whole sign as one up to the rails, slip it on, and use set screws to fasten it to the rails

Edit: if the weight is an issue fully assembled, then do assembly in house, remove panels, install frame, reinstall panels

Yup, i would recommend doing it in panels when installing, way easier to manage compare to dealing with full assembly at the same time

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It might not be big to you, but it's by no means a slouch of a sign. It will take some big toys to do it..... and do it right.

To the OP..... what material is the sign for the metal poles being made ?? Will it fit between the poles or sandwich them ?? Also, what size is that one ??

edit: I know you haven't asked, but I think your sign/layout is crowded out to the edge too far. No breathing space.​

401Graphics

It might not be big to you, but it's by no means a slouch of a sign. It will take some big toys to do it..... and do it right.

To the OP..... what material is the sign for the metal poles being made ?? Will it fit between the poles or sandwich them ?? Also, what size is that one ??

edit: I know you haven't asked, but I think your sign/layout is crowded out to the edge too far. No breathing space.​

Probably going with a aluminum composite. They will be sandwiched.

The big sign is most likely going to be cut down to 20x4 since I dont think he'll be able to afford 18x8 or 20x8