• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass Cigar Sign, back painted and mirrored

schramm

I believe that the original of this sign was a Rawson & Evans sign but I did it this on float glass, back painted this in black and then mirrored the scroll in antique silver and the words and the center panel are a antique copper mirroring.

Attachments

• cigar LB1.jpg
    cigar LB1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Cigar LB2.jpg
    Cigar LB2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 106
  • Cigar LB3.jpg
    Cigar LB3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Cigar temp test.jpg
    Cigar temp test.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 102
  • cigar1.jpg
    cigar1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 98

Travis Stanley

Nice Job, Have you been on the hand lettering Fourm. I love to see all the gold leaf and reversed glass work on there. Very Inspiring.:thumb:

schramm

Yeah, been there in fact Mike Jackson re-did this image and I bought all of his design books. Great guy with great re-made designs.

I dont have a lot of time for forums as I normally am working or spending time with my family but like to come from time to time. By the way this is
mirrored and not leafed. I make antique mirror glass for a living and these types of mirrors I do for fun and occasionally for profit for clients. You can
see more on my site: antiqued-mirrors.com

Rob

Travis Stanley

There's alot of nice vector designs by Dave Smith on istock. He has a link on his website. And Mike Jackson has a lot of mini collections on LHF.

schramm

I own almost all Dave Smiths art, fonts and so on... Dave is a great guy. If you havent tried his Smith tip yet you should buy one for gold leaf, it is beyond great.
I own Mike Jacksons entire collection but that is a great deal on LHF if you cannot buy them all at one time!

schramm

Thanks, here is design layout and a close up of the shield center section so you can see the antique copper finish up close.

The Capone design is the next back painted and mirrored panel that I am going to do. I just cut the glass this morning, everything black/red is black/red and all the grey are mirror. Around the bullet holes I am doing a mercury mirror finish to give the illusion of pitted metal. Panel size is 14"T x 64"L

Rob

Attachments

• FineCigars.jpg
    FineCigars.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 106
  • closeup cigar.jpg
    closeup cigar.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Capone-revised.jpg
    Capone-revised.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 97

Craig Sjoquist

Awesome indeed what great eye candy to see for a guy that still hand letters 95% of my work and read what your doing thanks for sharing. inspiring

Mike Jackson

A blast from the past! :)

Nice job on the antique looking sign!

That piece of artwork originated in my original Classic Sign Painter's Ornaments I digitized in 1995. It was part of #3. Volumes 1, 2 & 3 were sold originally on floppy disks, as people didn't have CD drives for the most part.

I am attaching an image from the Bonus Images on Volume 3. That design was built from parts from Volume 3 consisting of the ends in the center panel, the two end rococo panels, a swash under Royal and some small ornament fillers. The idea of the bonus images was show people how powerful all the small elements could be if you took the time to build panels and be creative. I added the little swash along the bottom of the center panel when I included it on the Americana Collection of Panels and Ornaments. The version in your design probably came from Letterhead Fonts with several of their fonts substituted.

So, to add a little to your original post, this isn't really a layout in the theme of the Rawson & Evans company, but it certainly has a turn-of-the-century look and feel. I used artwork from Rawson & Evans pieces when I digitized the Main Street Collection of Panels and Ornaments. I talked to Chuck Davis at Letterhead Fonts a few days ago and he will be releasing several small collections from Main Street this month. The full CD version is still available from me. I guess I will have to pay my merchant fees again now!

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios

Attachments

• BonusImage3.jpg
    BonusImage3.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 110

skyhigh

very nice Shcramm. Looks fantastic

And that video of David Smith....breathtaking. I've watched that a half dozen times.

Mosh

I wish my customers could afford something like that! Lots of Deadbeats in Nebraska!