• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass Interior Sign Mounting

neato

Ok, it's not everyday that I fabricate and install signs. So I need some guidance.

I have the responsibility of purchasing and installing 2 glass interior signs (volunteer job)

They will have vinyl lettering on them that is changed every year.

The dimensions of the signs are 66" long x 14" tall.

Here are my questions.

1. What thickness of glass would you recommend? I was originally thinking 1/4.

2. How would you mount these to the wall? Would standoffs in each corner be sufficient?

Where do you purchase your standoffs?

Thanks!

neato

Glass

I thought about acrylic too, but I wonder how it would hold up/look. Is that a better idea?

skyhigh

I would say its a much better idea. The glass would be very heavy. Then there is always the risk of someone breaking it (especially if its stand off from the wall)

Will hold up just fine, and as long as you take it easy with the changes.

CanuckSigns

Phillip:

I would go with acrylic or polycarbonate, 3/8" thick, but use 6 stand-offs to support the centre of the panel.

signage

If you go with glass my recommendation would be to use tempered glass in case someone breaks it!

stickerguynyc

for that size 1/4 inch glass will be ok but need to make a frame to hold it at lest on the 66 inches size.
plexiglass is good but if you need to change vinyl lettering everyday will see a ghost shadow after remove vinyl also is easier to get scratch. or make a full color print to cover the whole plexiglass will be good too

HulkSmash

no matter what substrate you use, you should use some nice brushed silver standoffs to give it a nice finish