• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass signs

Fitch

I just love it when every now and then, a part of history.... the craft of sign skills... is placed upon a forum like Signs 101.

NO - I cannot do what Dave Smith does. Yes I move with the times.

Can't help but appreciate that there are a lot of aspects to the sign industry that I will possibly never get the chance to be introduced to and undertake - if even to a small degree.

I know there are newbies and I know there are those that refer in posts to the "Old Timers".

But surely when you see a video like this, the admiration for "old skills" where there was time, desire, pride and longevity involved in the craft.... does it not give you a slight degree of envy or at the least a "wow" thought?

Techology and digital is great - but the skills of yesteryear....

that's to be celebrated - not condemned as many posts in the past have done.

Congrats Dave on a great video.

Cheers - G

Si Allen

No doubt that he is a master ... but most "old timers" could do gold leaf.

Not many ever reached his level ... but ... we were taught how and did window gold signs.

rjpjr

Heavy Deep Sigh!!!

After watching that, I feel so .... Inept, unworthy, insufficient ... !!!

This guy is an Impeccable ARTIST that happens to merge his art with sign crafting!

Shaking my head!!!

Nearly 20 years ago I took some stained glass classes with my dad and loved it. I immediately wondered if it was was feasible to make a living at it and decided to NOT pursue it. Instead, I chose to stay in the sign making/graphics field. In hindsight, I am not sure I made the right choice.