• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glass Splashback Reverse Print - Adhesives?

Ant

Hi, i have started printing (reverse print to laminate) and applying prints on glass for a splashback company, they have then installed it using silicon directly to the back of the print thus damaging the print (discolouration) i dont have any photos,

My question is, is there any adhesives that will not react with the vinyl?

Any help would be appreciated..

Ant

It's currently printed on clear and then laminated with white vinyl ,

are you suggesting double laminate with white, I had thought about it, just scared to risk it,, I might do some trials

Ant

Sorry I think we've misunderstood each other applying to the glass is not an issue as I'm printing on clear laminate then over laminating the clear with white, which then makes the image visible on the adhesive side

The problem is that when they try installing the glass to a wall they need some sort of hidden adhesive,, which is where they used silicone which reacted with the vinyl, now I'm not sure what glues react

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hi, i have started printing (reverse print to laminate) and applying prints on glass for a splashback company, they have then installed it using silicon directly to the back of the print thus damaging the print (discolouration) i dont have any photos,

My question is, is there any adhesives that will not react with the vinyl?

Any help would be appreciated..

I've never heard of doing it this way before.
risk of de-lam. de-colorisation from heat.

Last edited:

signage

My question on all if this is, does the adhesive of the vinyl have enough holding power to hold the sub straight?

Vinyl adhesive is designed to hold the vinyl to a sub straight, not to support the sub straight.

Ant

My question on all if this is, does the adhesive of the vinyl have enough holding power to hold the sub straight?

Vinyl adhesive is designed to hold the vinyl to a sub straight, not to support the sub straight.
That's my concern to, any where glue or vhb tape is may pull at the vinyl perhaps mechanical fixtures are the only way..

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That's my concern to, any where glue or vhb tape is may pull at the vinyl perhaps mechanical fixtures are the only way..
The way you're doing it, then yes probably.

The best and only way to print on glass is with a flat bed printer.

astro8

Haven't did any for quite a while but only success to stop the outgassing/discolouration from any adhesive was to apply that old chrome vinyl (mylar?) to the back of the laminated print, then silicon, vhb, whatever....

ikarasu

How big is the piece? / how heavy is it?

we apply backprints the same way as you all the time. Anything really big gets fastened with standoffs... Anything under 2-3 FT we just use VHB tape to attach it, and it works well.

We've also used 3M double sided adhesive, comes in rolls of 24". I wouldn't use it on anything heavy though, as it doesn't stick as good.

Terry01

Take a photo of the splashback and where you are trying to install it, would really help out if you want help
from the community... we are all sitting here trying to picture what you are doing..

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Take a photo of the splashback and where you are trying to install it, would really help out if you want help
from the community... we are all sitting here trying to picture what you are doing..

probably something like this. But this is mounted like any glass splashback would, with natural curing silicone behind the glass onto the wall and around the glass to seal from moisture.

30604747_1991216131197565_8200050122432708608_n.jpg

Terry01

If you want to go with a standard print, stick it straight onto 0.5mm PET film or mylar, and then use double sided optical vision laminate to mount on the glass.. Use whatever you like in the way of silicon to glue and seal it to the wall.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Another method would be to use .040" aluminum on the back of the completed sign, using double sided adhesive to attach. Then VHB mount to the wall. The aluminum is what will stick to the wall, not the laminated print.