• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glide

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Looks interesting but with my old eyes and tired stubby fingers, I've got nothing in store for me but bigger monitors and standard keyboards. I don't even like laptops.

Are you looking at it for a signmaking application?

Tony Teveris

Just looking at a lot of technologies to see where we go next.

I'm not a big laptop fan either but I've been looking at the 20" Dell XPS laptop with a normal keyboard. I don't like laptop keyboards and to me they are never fast enough

Tony,

Once you go over the usual 15", or less, they are no longer laptops. They are "desktop replacements, with a wide screen". They are anything but portable.

I have the 17" Dell, and here is what I think about it. I now realize that I dislike......

1. Widescreens (native hi-res makes them difficulty to see at times)
2. Battery life is two hours max
3. Standard carry cases do not fit
4. Heavy
5. Cumbersome and awkward to use anywhere but a table, or leaning back with knees propped up.

The one thing that I do like is that AS a desktop replacement, it is "just close the lid and move to the next available desktop".

Just some thoughts about laptops..........

Idea Design

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
Tony,

Once you go over the usual 15", or less, they are no longer laptops. They are "desktop replacements, with a wide screen". They are anything but portable.

I have the 17" Dell, and here is what I think about it. I now realize that I dislike......

1. Widescreens (native hi-res makes them difficulty to see at times)
2. Battery life is two hours max
3. Standard carry cases do not fit
4. Heavy
5. Cumbersome and awkward to use anywhere but a table, or leaning back with knees propped up.

The one thing that I do like is that AS a desktop replacement, it is "just close the lid and move to the next available desktop".

Just some thoughts about laptops..........

I absolutely agree with EVERYTHING Pro says here. I have the same 17" Dell, and the thing that I like best about it is that I can spend more time upstairs in my house with the family instead of forever in the basement thanks to the built-in wireless capability.

I'm on this machine as we speak.

Tony Teveris

What I was talking about I guess Dell labels as a "notebook".

XPS M2010 The Showstopper - check it out

I don't travel but I like to use the computer where I'm located, not where it's located. I have 4 computers in the house now, all wireless networked.

Battery life is the biggest problem.

This unit is the carrying case and heavy is not a problem, I'm heavy.

ahollow

Well, I have 4 different computers around the house, all desktop models doing different functions. They are all networked, so by using Remote Desktop connection, I can control each one from my laptop. It's great to update the web server, monitor the print server, and "work" on the FlexiPRO workstation, all from my laptop, but using the power of the desktop. I purchased a 250G drive and a NAC controller, so I store all my files there so they are accessible from any machine, and I automatically backup that drive to a separate drive in one of the machines ( and also burn DVD's on a weekly basis).

Remote Desktop is a great product, and it's part of the MS OS.