• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glossy backlit signs?

Signed Out

Have a customer requesting backlit panels but wants a gloss finish. We always use either translucent cut vinyl which has more of a luster finish and for digitally printed backlit signs we laminate with matte laminate. Would a gloss finish not work well for a backlit? Seems like lights would reflect off of it at night too much and wash out the sign? Please advise.

Signed Out

Yes we do digitally printed backlit signs like this:

reverse printed clear on backside of white polycarbonate.
single strike printed on translucent on front side.

But we always laminate the translucent print with a matte laminate. We do this becasue translucent material is a matte finish, so why would you put gloss laminate on it. Also it seems to me that if it were done with a gloss laminate that it would be harder to read at night with light reflecting off the face. But that is my question, is gloss laminate a bad idea?

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
1/ Normally, the light of the box is stronger than the outside light therefore you don't have problem with refection of the glossy surface.
2/ If you print backlit properly (2 layers or 2 hits) you won't have any problem of wash-out print
Hope this help

AceSignsOnline

While I personally prefer the look of a matte overlam when it comes to backlit digital prints, we have great results when using gloss as well. As far as "washing out" is concerned, I don't think it's a problem at all. In fact, it's hard to tell one way or another at night. The only time I've ever felt that gloss laminates were a problem is when it has to do with light reflecting off the surface from light sources other than the internal lamps or LED's.

In short, you should feel pretty comfortable giving your client a gloss finish! :thumb:

Signed Out

Ok so the internal lighting should overpower any light shinning on the face at night, that makes sense. I will advise my customer that a glossy face may produce some glare during daylight hours and that a matte finish is what I recommend.

Thanks for your help.