Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glossy backlit signs?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Signed Out, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Signed Out

Signed Out Very Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Have a customer requesting backlit panels but wants a gloss finish. We always use either translucent cut vinyl which has more of a luster finish and for digitally printed backlit signs we laminate with matte laminate. Would a gloss finish not work well for a backlit? Seems like lights would reflect off of it at night too much and wash out the sign? Please advise.

Tags:
  2. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    if you are using vinyl, start with clear and apply to the back of the face

3. Signed Out

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Yes we do digitally printed backlit signs like this:

reverse printed clear on backside of white polycarbonate.
    single strike printed on translucent on front side.

But we always laminate the translucent print with a matte laminate. We do this becasue translucent material is a matte finish, so why would you put gloss laminate on it. Also it seems to me that if it were done with a gloss laminate that it would be harder to read at night with light reflecting off the face. But that is my question, is gloss laminate a bad idea?

4. DIGIXTRA

DIGIXTRA Digixtra

Jun 6, 2012
    Canada
    1/ Normally, the light of the box is stronger than the outside light therefore you don't have problem with refection of the glossy surface.
    2/ If you print backlit properly (2 layers or 2 hits) you won't have any problem of wash-out print
    Hope this help

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    +1

6. AceSignsOnline

AceSignsOnline Member

Apr 17, 2013
    While I personally prefer the look of a matte overlam when it comes to backlit digital prints, we have great results when using gloss as well. As far as "washing out" is concerned, I don't think it's a problem at all. In fact, it's hard to tell one way or another at night. The only time I've ever felt that gloss laminates were a problem is when it has to do with light reflecting off the surface from light sources other than the internal lamps or LED's.

In short, you should feel pretty comfortable giving your client a gloss finish! :thumb:

7. Signed Out

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Ok so the internal lighting should overpower any light shinning on the face at night, that makes sense. I will advise my customer that a glossy face may produce some glare during daylight hours and that a matte finish is what I recommend.

Thanks for your help.

8. AceSignsOnline

AceSignsOnline Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Best of luck to you!