• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

**glow in the dark vinyl**

Mosh

Fellers has GlowEFX, only comes in the green/yellow color. Never seen any in different colors. You could try to print some. FIY, it only stays lit for a short time (hour or less), made for emergency type signs.

MikePro

i've read that the glow isn't rated for emergency signage, which kind of kills my draw towards selling it to my clients for wayfinding. emergency lights will negate the glow, so reflective/illuminated has always been my way to go.
however, I do have a client that is insistant on photoluminescent signage despite my tempering his expectations in regards to performance, so I'm also interested in everyone's suggestion for brands.

noted: The stuff gets a heck of a glow with indirect black-lighting, but so does fluorescent vinyl, if that matters at all.

Locals Find!

I don't know about the glow in the dark vinyl but I have played with some of the glow in the dark powders mixed in with concrete. Most of them glow for 12-18 hours. I am sure if your creative you could mix something interesting up with them.

They are far from cheap though. The last 50 lb bag I bought was over $2k and that was enough for only about 25 sq ft of coverage with a decent enough glow to be interesting.

MikePro

one of our suppliers has a glow in the dark vinyl that glows for 8 hours, not cheap though at over $70/yard for 15"

yuck. fellers's "SafeGlo" brand boasts 6-8hr illumination, 5yr durability, and is only $35/yd at 24". Which is where I'm leaning-towards, but I'm still making sure I'm not overlooking better options to stand-behind. 3M 6900 Luminous vinyl has also been suggested to me, but I'm struggling to find more info regarding it.

edited: oops, fellers' new catalog no longer has it. Replaced by a more expensive "GlowEFX" that only boasts 1hr illumination ...which sounds more realistic.

phototec

yuck. fellers's "SafeGlo" brand boasts 6-8hr illumination, 5yr durability, and is only $35/yd at 24". Which is where I'm leaning-towards, but I'm still making sure I'm not overlooking better options to stand-behind. 3M 6900 Luminous vinyl has also been suggested to me, but I'm struggling to find more info regarding it.

edited: oops, fellers' new catalog no longer has it. Replaced by a more expensive "GlowEFX" that only boasts 1hr illumination ...which sounds more realistic.

You know there are a lot of rules and regulations around, we have to wear seatbelts here in Texas, I can't take my CC into a public government building etc.

But when it comes to where I spend my money for supplies, I have FULL control, and going by the recent stunt Fellers tried to pull, I choose NOT to spend my money with them any longer.

I'm just a small fish in the pond, but I feel good doing my little protest against Feller's, maybe I can't make a change, but if enough people make a stand, you can make a change (IMHO).

:wavingflag:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on his request and his profile, perhaps the OP is referring to reflective vinyl and doesn't know the difference..... or not using the correct terminology.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If your referring to reflective vinyl and multi colors then you can look at the Avery 1200 (I hate Avery and think their product is dog crap) or the Oracal 5600 series has a bunch of colors also Nikkalite has a handful of colors as well

MikePro

Reflective I use Oralite 5600 or 5700 depending on what it is going on.

but, for the most part, 5700 would be a good "overall-use" reflective vinyl and kick-it-up-to 5600 when you don't trust the 5700 to hold over rivots/curves?

do they both have the same white-point? i've never seen them sidebyside, but I know that 5700 is more grey than 3M 5100's white.

SignLights

Signs Plus Banners has both GlowEFX (R-Tape) and Oracal 9300 Luminescent Cast (they dropship it straight from Orafol so you get really fresh product and because it is super-pricey). I don't think either lasts much longer than an hour, but we used some up at the lake to mark paths (GlowEFX). As long as you don't stay up too late, its fine.
icon6.png
There is also Glow in Dark vinyl for heat pressing onto fabric, but I haven't tried it.

I have printed on their reflective 5600 (I used gold colored) (Oracal), and it looks nice but make sure to cut it deep enough or it will tear where you don't want it to.:rolleyes:

They give $5. off your first order of $50. or more with a coupon code (KROSR).

MikePro

but, for the most part, 5700 would be a good "overall-use" reflective vinyl and kick-it-up-to 5600 when you don't trust the 5700 to hold over rivots/curves?

do they both have the same white-point? i've never seen them sidebyside, but I know that 5700 is more grey than 3M 5100's white.

god, i hate thread pirates and I'm now my own worst enemy... accidentally confused the reflective comment with my other thread discussion differences between 5600/5700.
my bad :)

Donny7833

54'x 150' Glo Brite #7630 Safety Grade Photoluminescent Film.

Made by a company called Jessup in northern IL. I was quoted $1000 per roll for a 20 roll order thru Midwest Sign and Screen.

Didn't get the project, but did get a sample roll to try. Prints just like vinyl, has a yellow/green cast to it though.

banos_andres

Based on his request and his profile, perhaps the OP is referring to reflective vinyl and doesn't know the difference..... or not using the correct terminology.

I certainly know the difference, all I wanted to know was other suppliers. but thanks for your comment.