• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glue to mount signage, Need input

J

john1

Hey, just finished up a aluminum sign for a customer that was only 32x12.5" and they are looking to mount it to buildings. Instead of drilling into the sign they wanted to put a square block on each side and the middle to give it some depth as they said and use some type of mounting glue to hold everything together.

Basically the sign would look as it's off the wall they are hanging it on. The sign will be duplicated once i hear back to about 10-12 and will go on various surfaces (vinyl, wood, brick etc)

Anyone know a good glue or tape made for mounting signage i could purchase from a supplier?

J

john1

Which vhb, i see there is a few ones and i haven't the first clue to which is for what

Thanks in advance!

MikePro

VHB tape and 100% silicone caulk. liquid nails works too, but silicone looks nicer in the event of accidentally using too much and it oozes out.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If this is exterior, and overhead (above 80") I would make a backer with pins (either plug welded, or countersunk screws deep enough to make pins out of) then attach the sign to the backer with either Lords adhesive epoxy or similar or VHB, then pin mount sign to exterior substrate with some commercial grade high bond silicone/and or VHB depending on the wall surface.

MikePro

If this is exterior, and overhead (above 80") I would make a backer with pins (either plug welded, or countersunk screws deep enough to make pins out of) then attach the sign to the backer with either Lords adhesive epoxy or similar or VHB, then pin mount sign to exterior substrate with some commercial grade high bond silicone/and or VHB depending on the wall surface.

+1 to fastening it to the building, somehow, if possible.
sometimes customers say they want "no holes", but you have to explain that you don't want to have to replace the sign when it falls off the wall... or them to be held liable if it falls and clips someone.
i use vhb and silicone all the time, but for something outdoors it never hurts to go a little overboard and add a stud (or two) to assist in holding up the weight. You can never predict the elements (or people) stressing the mount.
(plus, i really only trust vhb and silicone when flush-mounting.)

could make it as simple as using countersunk tapcons/gold screws to mount painted 2x4 blocks to the wall and using stainless steel screws to mount the aluminum panels to the blocks, for that stand-off effect you're referring to.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Over here in California, more and more the building departments now want to see pins on drawing/permit submittal on anything 2+ lbs and over 80" whether it's foam letters or an aluminum panel.

J

john1

Alright, my customer just got back to me and said he will use counter sunken screws for the aluminum blocks behind the sign but he wants some type of glue to glue the sign back to the aluminum blocks.

Which 3M tape holds aluminum to aluminum?

Thanks!

MikePro

i wouldn't trust tape to hold a stand-off sign for more than a year... especially in areas known for snow and ice.
3M vhb tape holds great.... flush. If you expect it to hold permanently against gravity and the elements, you better expect your client not to expect you to replace it when it falls.

stud-weld it, hell even offer to pop-rivot it, just don't let it fall on anyone.

Si Allen

A pair of cleats screwed to the wall and a matching pair epoxied to the sigh, then a screw up through the bottom cleats so that it cannot be lifted off.

Sticky Signs

bubble gum tastes way better than Elmer's!!!!
PL super adhesive seems to work pretty good although I've never used it outdoors. Some carpenters I know swear by the stuff. Either way, I don't think I would trust glue or tape for something outdoors.