• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Glueing up a big HDU sign

signmeup

Well... big for me. Here are a few pics of the glue up of a 54" x 96" double sider. I glued and screwed the spacer foam and let it cure up then the front face was glued on. This cut the workload during glue-up and made all those parts sit still instead of squirming all over with wet glue on them. I've never used this approach before with the screws but it works a treat. The top (face) was clamped around the edges and I piled lots of weight in the middle to press it all down. The urethane glue can push the faces apart as it cures so you need lots of weight.

I'll post pics of the finished sign once it's installed.

Added a detail of the gilded lettering. The larger ones are about 18" tall. Took 4 books of gold.

Attachments

• BerwickSign-001sm.jpg
    BerwickSign-001sm.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 205
  • BerwickSign-007sm.jpg
    BerwickSign-007sm.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 148
  • BerwickSign-006sm.jpg
    BerwickSign-006sm.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 005sm.jpg
    005sm.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 252

signmeup

The long black things are 1" square steel tubes. The sign is 3.5" thick which is pretty strong in itself.

iSign

Nice sign!

3-1/2" thick? Is the spacer foam 1" like the steel?

Do you start with 5x8 sheets to avoid a seam in the face, or did you have a glue-up there too?

I want to visit your shop someday... Seems like it would be similar to time travel!

Last edited:

signmeup

Nice sign!

3-1/2" thick? Is the spacer foam 1" like the steel?

Do you start with 5x8 sheets to avoid a seam in the face, or did you have a glue-up there too?

I want to visit your shop someday... Seems like it would be similar to time travel!
The spacer foam is 1" scraps from the cutting out of the sign panels. The front face is 1.5" and the back face is 1". I used to route grooves for the steel frame but this is a lot easier and faster... Stronger too.

Yes I had to glue the panels up to get the 54" width.

Time travel? You mean my primitive methods I presume. I do have a lot of experience with archaic technology. You'd love my wooden scroll saw... (you can just make it out in the third pic.)

Salmoneye

Archaic? Foot powered or power? I saw some guys doing stone inlay with foot powered saws, it was awesome wort too. Do you use anything else to bond the steel to the foam for the address portion? How are you carving your letters, it doesn't look like you have a router? Very nice sign. I just did a couple of 3'x12' and laid them up to mdo, way too much work.

signmeup

Archaic? Foot powered or power? I saw some guys doing stone inlay with foot powered saws, it was awesome wort too. Do you use anything else to bond the steel to the foam for the address portion? How are you carving your letters, it doesn't look like you have a router? Very nice sign. I just did a couple of 3'x12' and laid them up to mdo, way too much work.
My scroll saw is based on a foot powered one but uses an old 1/4 hp washing machine motor. I made the saw about 30 years ago out of oak and odds and ends. The arms pivot on an old rocker shaft from an MG.

The small oval sign is trapped by the angle of the square tubes embedded in it. It does not require glue to hold it in, although, urethane glue sticks to steel very well.

The lettering was carved with chisels and a box cutter.