• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gluing alupanel to alupanel

sinetist

Going to be making a set of letters out of alupanel that will be two layers thick with the bottom layer larger all around (and a different color) to make a setback outline. I'm thinking silicone would be fine to glue the layers together but would like to hear about any other material/methods people have used or would recommend.

signmeup

I've used that polyurethane glue that you wet one side of the joint and apply the glue to the other. It's strong stuff. Sand the Alupanel first.

luggnut

a two part epoxy might do it.... if you bore some holes (not all the way through) in the back of the top piece and the same on the front side of the second piece to use as a place to capture some of the epoxy adhesive. it forms a tight bond. some automotive parts are done like this.

lords adhesive makes some.

i would be nervous with anything without mechanical fasteners though, but if i had to do it i would use epoxy and the capture holes. or maybe VHB

Mainframe

2 tricks for using silicone, 1- use 100% silicone 2-when you apply it make a series of round puddles, don;t zig zag it when installing, the round puddles will hold like crazy after they dry.