• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gluing Pvc To Pvc

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Hi everyone...
Say I have a 6ml PVC sign being hung with a 1 inch PVC french cleat.
Drilling and mounting the "wall half" of the cleat is easy.
How does everyone mount the "sign half" of the cleat?
Both are PVC.
I've used construction adhesive in the past, but I do it so infrequently that even with a screw or nail in the open tip of the CA tube, it dries up and I need to throw it away.
Does regular ol plumbers PVC glue work? The 2-part stuff?
I've also found Gorilla PVC glue online but can't find it local.
Please school me on what you do.

Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you mean 6mm, otherwise, it would be almost paper thin.

I just did this with Oatey clear PVC cement. Dries in about 2 or 3 minutes, so keep pressure on it as the open window time for setting is short.

rossmosh

Gorilla PVC Glue from Amazon is what I use most. If you need it done today/tomorrow, Home Depot and Lowes both have 1 part PVC glue for gluing PVC Trim. I believe Home Depot carries Azek and I'm not sure what Lowes carries. All of these solutions dry and cure quite quickly.

If you're looking for a construction adhesive type solution, Lexel from Lowes will also work but it won't set up as quickly as the PVC glue and the bond is also inferior.

filteredsoul

Large Format Graphics
Yep sorry... 6mm (1/4 inch)
So with that Oatey clear PVC Cement, I saw that both Home Depot and Lowes have a "heavy duty" clear cement. Supposed to work with rigid or flexible applications. Is this a 2-part process where I need the "cleaner" first, then hit it with the cement?
How do you do it?

fixtureman

Yep sorry... 6mm (1/4 inch)
So with that Oatey clear PVC Cement, I saw that both Home Depot and Lowes have a "heavy duty" clear cement. Supposed to work with rigid or flexible applications. Is this a 2-part process where I need the "cleaner" first, then hit it with the cement?
How do you do it?[/QUOTE

You do not need to prime it. That glue welds the two together

Johnny Best

Just put the clear pvc glue you get in the plumbing section in Home Depot on and put some weight on it, they meld together very nicely If I am in a rush I will use a brad nailer after putting glue on cleat to get a quick and tight bond, If your putting a piece of vinyl with laminate over it the small brad countersink does not even show up.
I use .5" thick pieces for my french cleats on most signs I hang that way unless they are small.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
As others have noted use plain old clear PVC cement available at any hardware store. The thing to know is that PVC cement creates and actual weld wherein the pieces being glued are fused as opposed to a mere surface bond provided by construction adhesive.

Just glue and lightly clamp the pieces and an a few minutes they will be as one.