• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Go... Pound... Sand...

thesignexpert

Ever have one of those cathartic moments in which you politely tell a customer to go pound sand? Perhaps I am feeling a bit froggy today but sometimes it feels soooo good. You know the scenario. Prospect calls, wants price, have to survey site, create estimate etc. You run out to the location, survey everything, quote a reasonable price and include all of the information / specs they need to make an informed decision. Prospect calls and proceeds with the "you're a little high... why do I have to pay extra for the custom design... XYZ can do it for much cheaper..."

At this point I simply and politely say "Sounds like they are giving you a great deal. Good luck and have a wonderful day". CLICK.

All of the time, effort and sacrifice over the years to make sure I have a stable & profitable shop and today it beautifully culminates in the confidence and knowledge that I don't have to deal with this crap if I don't want to.

I didn't want to. :thumb:

Jillbeans

I hate it. I am sick of it. I try to be nice but most of the time I secretly wish I could tell the person to go___ themselves with a jackhammer.
:smile:
The part that makes me feel good is when I see what they settle for.
Love....Jill

300mphGraphics

A week ago I was ready to drop the hammer on a customer. I've wasted time with him before and nothing came of it. Was ready to tell him to pound said sand when my partner (who is friends with the bum) said to be nice and help. I did. Waited a week for him to come give me the info when I looked at the mechanic across the way and saw him and both his trucks there. Went over to be nice and see if I could get the info and lo and behold, he is changing his company name needs more time and asked for another week. Duuuude, take all the weeks you want. Foff. Best benefit of working for myself has been firing customers!

CES020

We terminated the relationship with our largest customer at the time a couple years ago. Best thing we ever did. That year, we did better than the previous year and the next year was better than that. I used to drive all over town gathering up information for quotes, signs, fonts to match other things on their property. All that stopped and I stayed at the shop and just made things. I went to a big party sponsored by them the other day and saw all the old faces. Didn't even remotely want to get back in bed with them.

hotrod46

Leave a way out for customer

In just under 40 years of doing this there are 3 occasions (that I can remember) where
I said to a customer standing in our showroom, "excuse me", took him by the arm, and
walked him outside. After getting them out of earshot I told them to not return.
"I'm sure you will find someone else more able to deal with the way you want to do business."
In those few cases two tried to return after a year, but I would not allow it.
You will always see me bringing these discussions back around to "How you do business" as
having a defined, fixed, more or less immovable method regarding deposits, charges for art,
deposits, cost for travel/install, and most important, deposits ,will save you again and again.
Try to leave the customer a way out of changing vendors. This is simply a clash of two ways
of doing business, his and yours. Trust in yours, work constantly to improve it.
Finally, Dr. W. Edwards Deming's Point 8 from his 14 Points, "Drive out Fear!"

mbarden

Sound Advise

Hey Hotrod,
Very sound advise backed by years of experience.
Thank You
Mike B
Big River Sign Co.

WCSign

Ive only been in my retail store since march.. ive had 3 people say "oh I can get it down the road for such and such" I told all 3 to go down the road..

None of them did.

I have good retail and drive by traffic and my expenses are pretty low, plus I have a solid web and local customer foundation.. so being able to confidently tell someone to go down the road is easy for me.