• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Go to the flea market guy.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Got to love coming into work to have someone waiting for you tapping their foot ... always starts out with a 'your time isn't as valuble as my time' sort of dialog even if words aren't spoken.

Dude wanted ten 3"x4" custom '4x4' graphics (one color) for his 'truck club' which I'm always happy to devote a little bit of time to throwing together since that would be considered fun work.

Priced them out ... said the guy at the flea market would do them for half that cost ... I had to reply that he had to go there then, because I actually like being able to have a house over my head at night. he instantly got mad and said 'SO ... what you're saying is you're not going to haggle with ME?!? I'm an important customer!' ... (never seen this guy before ever)

I just sighed, told him, "you don't haggle with a carpenter or plumber do you? "

Red faced he pivoted and told me he would never be back. I said that was fine, and deleted the work right in front of him and he stormed out.

Got to love the crappy start to the day.

Oh and the flea market guy charges more, and it's all clipart from 2 books or a font ... he can't design his way out of a paper bag.

g&eprinting

Deleted. Turn around.

Attachments

• back.gif
    back.gif
    273.8 KB · Views: 103
J

john1

lol man gotta love those customers.

This week is just one of those weeks, hell this whole month is one of those months for me anyway

SignManiac

Flee markets are the new standard that this industry will now have to match their business model too. Same goes for Walmart.

SignManiac

I'm thinking of offering dimensionally carved Calvins in a multitude of colors. Maybe do some in gold leaf. They should sell well in that venue.

J

john1

I'm actually planning on selling all our equipment just so I can set up a booth at the flea market. I'll make way more money for sure!

Of course, I love the guys who have a linear pricing per foot for vinyl and whatever you can jam into that space is $15

That's how the guys around here at flea markets work, I hate it.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Of course, I love the guys who have a linear pricing per foot for vinyl and whatever you can jam into that space is $15

That's how the guys around here at flea markets work, I hate it.

I have linear pricing, but that still doesn't account for difficulty or time which I normally have to adjust for only on small stuff.

Oh, I like the flea market guy, he makes me look AWESOME ... had a car club come in and get a graphic (see attached) ... I think I spent a total of 2 minutes laying that out. (took them longer to choose colors) and the initial run was like 20 of them in various sizes. ... one of their buddies took an extra to the fleamarket ... apperently he charged a little less, and couldn't actually do a simple layout like that. ... only the outline. week later I had 16 more to do.

As a marketing strategy goes ... anyone who bickers about price ... I just send small jobs to the fleamarket (only open sat and sun) and tell them to see if he can do what I do. Bigger jobs, I send to the other shops in town (they all have week to two week turn arounds) between that, job minimums, and raising base price on all jobs by about 25% ... I weeded out all the cheapskates, sell about twice the value of jobs in a day, AND i work less doing it. great stuff really.

So really, I never have a beef with the flea market guy ... he does his thing, I do mine ... and every other shop in town does their thing too. I don't have the energy to compete with other companies ... too much work for myself to do alone anyways ...

Attachments

• S8-MOTORING.jpg
    S8-MOTORING.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 127
J

john1

I have linear pricing, but that still doesn't account for difficulty or time which I normally have to adjust for only on small stuff.

Oh, I like the flea market guy, he makes me look AWESOME ... had a car club come in and get a graphic (see attached) ... I think I spent a total of 2 minutes laying that out. (took them longer to choose colors) and the initial run was like 20 of them in various sizes. ... one of their buddies took an extra to the fleamarket ... apperently he charged a little less, and couldn't actually do a simple layout like that. ... only the outline. week later I had 16 more to do.

As a marketing strategy goes ... anyone who bickers about price ... I just send small jobs to the fleamarket (only open sat and sun) and tell them to see if he can do what I do. Bigger jobs, I send to the other shops in town (they all have week to two week turn arounds) between that, job minimums, and raising base price on all jobs by about 25% ... I weeded out all the cheapskates, sell about twice the value of jobs in a day, AND i work less doing it. great stuff really.

So really, I never have a beef with the flea market guy ... he does his thing, I do mine ... and every other shop in town does their thing too. I don't have the energy to compete with other companies ... too much work for myself to do alone anyways ...

I respect linear pricing but guys around here are doing a flat fee for no matter how easy or hard. I should have them do some old english for me and in chrome....lol

SD&F

No matter what you would have done those customers are not happy. I have ended dealing with them, as we all have and you know that if it's not one thing it is another.
Even if the job is perfect, they B--tch.

signrios

my day started with the son of a doctor who manages his clinic
wanting a 4x4' coroplast sign. for less than $45, thats what the established shop is charging.
he was calling me cause he tought he could get it cheaper from me.
$75 was way too much for him lol!