• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Goalie Helmet wrap

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i swore i would never do another one of these....

but it's for my son.

helemt.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't know where to begin... to do something like that..................

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Did you use the garbage can trick?

yes, first time i tried it i got it almost around the bend then heated too much and blew a hole in the vinyl the size of a softball.

the next attempt i didn't heat as much and didn't get it around the helmet as much as the first time so there was an adjustment in the graphics.... (i cut the crap out of it and made it fit!)

drobins10

For something like this, were all your graphics on one sheet, or did you start with a base wrap and then add all the other elements (ie numbers, letter, logos) separately and then clear coat it?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
For something like this, were all your graphics on one sheet, or did you start with a base wrap and then add all the other elements (ie numbers, letter, logos) separately and then clear coat it?

It was one sheet. The first one failed, heat gun blew open a hole as I got around the front and back. My second attempt yielded better results.

I chose area's of the design where I could cut them and they wouldn't be noticed too much. This is why I went with a chaotic design in the first place. I didn't clear coat it either, after one season, it still looks in decent shape.

My son played spring hockey as a forward this year and scored a five goals, so i'm hoping for a fall adventure in forward as well so I don't have to re-wrap his goalie helmet again....

drobins10

Do you have a template that you used for adjusting the graphics to accomodate the hole where the cage is and the width of the chin and jaw? I'm interested in trying this myself but can't seem to find anyone that has a template or anything that has been used. The local businesses that offer goalie helmet wraps are quite pricey and aren't willing to let you design your own work with their template, they are charging design fees to have you come and sit with their designer, which I don't have a problem with being a graphic designer myself. That being said I can design all this myself and would love to learn how to apply the vinyl as difficult as it might be.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I took a few pieces of paper and kinda molded over the helmet and drew reference lines. Then I scanned them into flexi and put them together, then designed over that.