• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold Leaf Boat Stripe

PPF is paint protection film. It is optically clear, and great for sealing the edges of vinyl on boats. You can buy rolls precut to widths of 1/2", 3/4", and 1". Basically looks like a thick roll of packing tape with a backing. Xpel is one brand I would suggest, 3M makes it as well. Only thing you need to be careful with is if you touch the adhesive side makes sure your fingers are wet or it will leave finger prints in the adhesive. The Xpel ultimate line is self healing and also has a 10 year warranty. You can get a 100' of the 1" I think it is for around $80.

visual800

let him get a quote for someone applying gold sheets to it and he will appreciate your bid! OR sell him the gold and tell him he can install

Gino

Premium Subscriber
let him get a quote for someone applying gold sheets to it and he will appreciate your bid! OR sell him the gold and tell him he can install
No one would ever apply sheet gold leaf. It's available in roll striping in 23k and you use a special handle to apply it. Once the size is ready, you just roll down the boat with 3/4" and then burnish when done. A black outline would look good, but the OP is not requesting one. You can clear over it, if you'd like and Iike mentioned earlier, that wouldn't take someone with experience long at all to do.

visual800

No one would ever apply sheet gold leaf. It's available in roll striping in 23k and you use a special handle to apply it. Once the size is ready, you just roll down the boat with 3/4" and then burnish when done. A black outline would look good, but the OP is not requesting one. You can clear over it, if you'd like and Iike mentioned earlier, that wouldn't take someone with experience long at all to do.[/QUOTE/]

that was sarcasm sir....if you have to explain it, it aint worth it

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That should not need to be edge sealed, but on a boat it may not be a bad idea. But I don't use Sign Gold, I use the Real Gold brand. I just recently learned that Real Gold has changed their recommendations, they now say edge sealing is not required for any of their gold products.

Same. We have also switched to the Real Gold brand. Interesting tidbit is that the guy who started Quick Sign Gold (Jamie Quick) left Sign Gold and is who started Real Gold.... They have made some nice improvements to their materials. The stuff weeds much better and does not need edge sealing which is nice. I've personally never liked the big obvious clear border on the Sign Gold striping so the only other solution was to either brush clear on or use a messy seal-it pen.

Just applied some yesterday even. :) Another plus in my book is you will be supporting a small business. You order it direct from them and they ship it out of Florida. if you have any questions Bill is quick to get on the phone with you.

Attachments

• IMG_6238.jpg
    IMG_6238.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 219

Alta42

800$ is a great deal! Keep in mind if everything goes great on this job (in the filed) you may make some decent money, but that never happens. You're going to send your shop guy who does vinyl in a controlled environment out into the wind to place a 1/2 strip level across an 80'+ stretch of a boat. If you're lucky he'll come back after a full day and tell you he needs another 3 hours tomorrow. I've learned not to bid based on how long it would take me but on how long it will take our guys. Plan for the worst and hope for the best but don't get caught with your pants down! In all seriousness don't cut yourself short as it could cost you more TIME than you anticipated...sometimes the little one off jobs are not worth the time and effort of the tried and true jobs.