• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold leaf flaking issues

astro8

I've never had a problem with one shot fast size.

Do you think the sealer has failed and taken the gold with it?

I'd look into that possibility.

I just remembered that I have seen this on some really old truck doors and always thought that it was that they had clear coated it or varnished over it.

Last edited:

stamford signs

Hi Dlee, I didn’t read all the reply’s so I not sure if this is already answered.

the theory of slow size verses quick size
Slow size is for signs and objects like post caps , cut out letters etc. slow size really doesn’t dry for a long time. So for that reason it’s not recommended to clear slow size
That’s what is used on roofs on buildings. They would never clear that and they last many many years.
Quick size is for vehicles, boats etc..that would be cleared because they are washed and waxed.

one thing I’m not sure you mentioned, did you clear the gold the same day? I always wait a day to make sure everything is dry. That is one possibility of why the gold flaked

(by the way...nice lettering)

the clear I use is Superfrog... I was told it’s the same as one shot clear..but I still use the Superfrog clear

hope this helps. Mike