• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold metallic vinyl that is translucent (for backlighting)?

WhatsYourSign?

We're making a sign that will be two layers:
  • Bottom Layer - Gold metallic that will be translucent so as to be backlit
  • Top Layer - Navy blue that will not be translucent

We're trying to find a vinyl we can use for the back layer that will be a nice, bright gold when backlit vs something that turns to a brown with backlit.

Can anybody make a material recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Look at your color charts and hold them up to the light. That's gotta be either your decision or your customers.

WhatsYourSign?

Look at your color charts and hold them up to the light. That's gotta be either your decision or your customers.

Typically our translucent signs are printed so I don't have a suitable color chart for translucent vinyl.

What kind of cast vinyl would you typically use in your shop that is translucent?

Last edited:

Andy D

I can't vouch for it, I have never used it...
but Oracal has a translucent Metallic Gold.
I don't trust vinyl books, I would contact a vendor that sell it and request a small sample
ORACAL® 8800 Translucent Premium Cast Film.
upload_2020-2-3_12-36-16.png

https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/ORACAL8800TranslucentPremiumCastFilm

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Typically our translucent signs are printed so I don't have a suitable color chart for translucent vinyl.

What kind of calendared vinyl would you typically use in your shop that is translucent?

Well, that's not how your OP is worded. Anyway, you DO NOT use calendared for translucents. also, why wast the time and money and an inferior product over actual translucent vinyl, itself. The one Andy is referring to is the exact one I was thinking about. Now, is the navy gonna be printed, too ?? If so, why are you gonna use two layers ?? And how opaque can you make a digital print and still look blue when the lights are on. Otherwise, it will look black at best.

WhatsYourSign?

Well, that's not how your OP is worded. Anyway, you DO NOT use calendared for translucents. also, why wast the time and money and an inferior product over actual translucent vinyl, itself. The one Andy is referring to is the exact one I was thinking about. Now, is the navy gonna be printed, too ?? If so, why are you gonna use two layers ?? And how opaque can you make a digital print and still look blue when the lights are on. Otherwise, it will look black at best.

No, I'm not planning to print either layer.

The Navy Blue won't be translucent though, we only want the gold layer to show light through it.

Good catch on the cast vs. calendared part as well, I definitely misspoke there.

Thanks for your help Gino.