• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gold Rush...don't hate me.

Pat Whatley

I know, we've beaten the dang dead horse into the ground about the show not being real and it all being set up and it's actually being filmed on a sound stage in Albuquerque. I recorded it and scanned through it in about 10 minutes tonight just to see if my hopes that the Parker kid finds a 12 pound nugget come true. Something finally struck me with the Hoffman bunch.

They needed to mine 70 ounces to cover the cost of food, transportation, gas, permits, all that stuff. Everything after that is payroll. The goal was 100 ounces....30 ounces profit.

30 ounces of gold at $1650 an ounce is $49,500. There are six guys up there working. Six shares of $49,500 is only $8,250 per man.

The mining season is around 125 days. They work 7 days a week (supposedly) and lets just say 12 hour days (though they claim 18). 125 x 7 x 12 = 10,500 hours.

$8,250 divided by 10,500 hours is......$7.85 an hour. The goal is to make $7.85 an hour?! Woo hoo! Way to go Todd! Sell that American Dream brother!

ProWraps

ah, but you forgot one thing.. the claim owner typically takes 20%. they dont let them take their gold for nothing!

so yeah. they are making even less. every time i hear any/all of them say the "numbers" i cringe cause it just doesnt ad up.

factor in the "we made nothing last year and lost our asses" and well, unless they consider a card board box and eating bugs a good lifestyle, i would call it a major fail.

Pat Whatley

Heck, don't the still owe the Hoffman sister $25,000 that she loaned them?

So....$49,500 - 20% = $39,600 - $25,000 = $14,600.

$14,600 divided by six guys = $2,433.33 each or 23¢ an hour. Hell, even Mosh pays more than that.

No guts, no glooorrrryyyyyy!

formanek

I know, we've beaten the dang dead horse into the ground about the show not being real and it all being set up and it's actually being filmed on a sound stage in Albuquerque. I recorded it and scanned through it in about 10 minutes tonight just to see if my hopes that the Parker kid finds a 12 pound nugget come true. Something finally struck me with the Hoffman bunch.

They needed to mine 70 ounces to cover the cost of food, transportation, gas, permits, all that stuff. Everything after that is payroll. The goal was 100 ounces....30 ounces profit.

30 ounces of gold at $1650 an ounce is $49,500. There are six guys up there working. Six shares of $49,500 is only $8,250 per man.

The mining season is around 125 days. They work 7 days a week (supposedly) and lets just say 12 hour days (though they claim 18). 125 x 7 x 12 = 10,500 hours.

$8,250 divided by 10,500 hours is......$7.85 an hour. The goal is to make $7.85 an hour?! Woo hoo! Way to go Todd! Sell that American Dream brother!

It took you this long to think of that? Welcome to reality. :ROFLMAO:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
They are always mentioning $1,000 per day for costs. I have to think that includes some kind of payroll. How could they be up there, other than the TV pay..., for two summer's doing this without a paycheck. Their families at home still have bills to pay.

I watched the first few episodes this season and de-scheduled it for a few weeks on my DVR. It was the same idiocy as last year. Then I realized that the Parker kid was smarter than ALL of them put together and I caught up and put it back in DVR rotation. The episode when the inspector shut Parker's mine down then that POS Fred's. Maybe it was all in the editing and the story lines they want to show but Parker worked and found a solution quickly and got his team back online. Fred "nasty fingers" Hurt just complained and made excuses and complained some more and sounded like a sixth grader. According to the TV timeline I think it took him almost a week to find a trainer and get his mine operational. Whereas Parker only took about 24 or 36 hours.

What I don't understand is how they are calculating their booty. When I see the gold they mine it's dirty and full of contaminates. Probably 30% or more is dirt or non-gold at the very least. They did show Parker having his gold dust smelted into a solid bar but I don't recall them saying the before and after weight. But even if the ounce total's they provide during the show are what they have to sell to gold buyers. What gold buyer is going to pay the full price of gold? How would they make a profit?

SignosaurusRex

I made more money as a kid during the summer riding my bike through the Armory and along the highway, picking up bottles and cans on Saturday and Sunday mornings...cashing them in at the Plaid Pantry. Never had to leave Oregon for that and only had to patch a tire tube now and then.

elitetech

I was wondering that too, so funny...

visual800

But lets not forget the ammount they are being paid by discovery for all their backwoods acting!...tv sucks

ucmj22

"our line of products is the ultimate way to connect yourself to the search for gold in the wilds of Alaska while going no farther than your web browser."

How F-ing pathetic is that!!?

K Chez

If they were growing weed and making moonshine up there, they would have had a much better chance of turning a profit.

My prediction for the next reality show - a bunch of chopper builders catching crabs filled with gold from a sea of moonshine in Alaska while trying to get a woman to marry them.

TheSnowman

My prediction for the next reality show - a bunch of chopper builders catching crabs filled with gold from a sea of moonshine in Alaska while trying to get a woman to marry them.

And decide to marry four women, then have 19 kids, then teach them to hunt gators.

Pat Whatley

Yep. The Alaska scenery you see on the show is just green screen shots of stuff they scanned out of some old National Geographics.

phototec

Heck, don't the still owe the Hoffman sister $25,000 that she loaned them?

So....$49,500 - 20% = $39,600 - $25,000 = $14,600.

$14,600 divided by six guys = $2,433.33 each or 23¢ an hour. Hell, even Mosh pays more than that.

No guts, no glooorrrryyyyyy!

Come on guys, it's not and never has been about finding gold, as mentioned they are NOT even making minimum wage with the gold they find, it's really about the WOW factor, the TV SHOW aspect of it. I have heard they are each getting paid $1000 to $1200 per week SAG wages, plus getting an additional $100,000 per episode, divided by the three principle players, the Hoffman's, the Hurt's, and the Schnabel's.

Advertising MONEY is want drives this series, and the more we all watch, the more the produces make hawking the show to the network.

Have you noticed all the new equipment, it seams like each on each episode, I notice new equipment in the background, just look at the new water pump and all the 6" hose, that alone costs a small fortune.

Don't be naive, these guys aren't up there working their a$$ off for minimum wages!

After the Friday finale, you can bet good MONEY they will be back with season 3 next.

There's gold, I mean TV dollars in them hills...

:toasting: