Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gold vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by East Penn Graphics, Oct 15, 2012.

1. East Penn Graphics

East Penn Graphics Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I have a customer that wants gold lettering on the door and window of their office. Of course they don't want to use sign gold because of cost. What is the next best thing that will look like the real thing?

Tags:
  2. Terremoto

Terremoto Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Quite honestly there isn't anything that looks like the real thing.

Dan

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Avery has a double gold that's pretty dang sweet looking.

4. East Penn Graphics

East Penn Graphics Member

Sep 19, 2012
    those were my exact words to the customer the avery stuff is only good for 3 -4 years i believe

5. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Oracal's metallic ultraleaf cast isn't too bad. It has a hokey looking holographic sheen but it's easier to work with than SignGold and is listed as 5 yr vinyl.
    Of course, absolutely nothing is as good as the real thing.
    Love....jill

6. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    +1 for Oracal.

7. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
  8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Tell them to sh!t or get off the pot.

Either they want gold leaf, which is expensive and not many can gild glass..... or they settle for imitation gold leaf vinyl for what it costs.

Seeing your other thread about this customer and now this one, it seems evident, you don't have as good a grasp on the many materials and substrates available in this industry as you need to deal with customers.

You're tending to allow the customer to walk over you and dictate how you should conduct your business. You need to give them their possibilities and they either take it or leave it and then you don't have to waste hours looking up crap for nothing.

If this was a multi-thousand dollar job, you could waste an hour or two..... or three, but you're having trouble getting $500. You're already used up all your profit and you still don't know what you're going to do. Besides, do you have the job ??

If you're still gonna use gold leaf vinyl, you realize you have to back it up with cast black ?? Ya can't use calendared... it will shrink wa-a-ay too fast.

9. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    This is good stuff. I have some that has been on the outside of building windows for nearly twelve years now and is still holding up really well, surprisingly.

10. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    I use Rtape VinylEFX on dump truck doors all the time and it seems to hold up decent.

ONLY 3-4 years...if someone only has to pay for door lettering every 4 years, that's pretty damn good lifespan in my opinion for the money spent. Did they want it to outlast the building?