• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Goldl leaf wrought iron fence ornaments

coyote

We have been asked to bid on gilding the ornaments on a totally over the top wrought iron entry gate and 2 side gates. My question is: patent or loose leaf? We'll be gilding the decorative finial caps on each rail plus flowers and deeleybobs all over the place-nothing flat. Gate is 14' wide, 7' tall and we'll be working in a warehouse-not out in the wind (thank goodness). I'm used to gilding flat and v-carved signs w/ patent leaf-this will be a first for us. -any advice will be gratefully accepted.

fresh

I'm no expert, but I have gilded plenty of finial caps with patent leaf. I don't think I would even consider using loose leaf.

Billct2

I'd use patent if they're fairly smooth, loose if there are a lot of details, and work over a skewings box so you can pick up skewings to fill the holidays
We did this same exact job many years ago, and had a major problem.
The finials were raw cast metal. The guy who prepped them swore that all they need was a good coat of primer
to be ready for gilding. He was wrong. Whatever he used wasn't good enough, they started to discolor with rust within weeks.
Since then I have made damn sure that any metal I've gilded has been finished as though it was going out as is with primer & top coat. Then I gild.

SignManiac

I'd use patent if they're fairly smooth, loose if there are a lot of details, and work over a skewings box so you can pick up skewings to fill the holidays
We did this same exact job many years ago, and had a major problem.
The finials were raw cast metal. The guy who prepped them swore that all they need was a good coat of primer
to be ready for gilding. He was wrong. Whatever he used wasn't good enough, they started to discolor with rust within weeks.
Since then I have made damn sure that any metal I've gilded has been finished as though it was going out as is with primer & top coat. Then I gild.

Ouch! I hate when we learn things the hard way...

Jillbeans

I'd be tempted to try one of David Smith's gilder's tips and use the loose leaf.
I think patent is not going to get into the nooks and crannies.
Love....Jill

Todd Jelle

you can get loose leaf & if you want patent. get some wax paper & makeyour own patent. Palm the loose leaf with wax paper to create patent. The wax paper will not sick to the size like the rice paper used for patent. This way you can utiliize both loose & patent with bestter results & less loss of gold. I enjoy gilding when I get the chance. Its nice to get away from the computer, electric & modern signs.
Most of all have fun!