Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goldl leaf wrought iron fence ornaments

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by coyote, Oct 30, 2013.

1. coyote

coyote Active Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Baltimore MD
    We have been asked to bid on gilding the ornaments on a totally over the top wrought iron entry gate and 2 side gates. My question is: patent or loose leaf? We'll be gilding the decorative finial caps on each rail plus flowers and deeleybobs all over the place-nothing flat. Gate is 14' wide, 7' tall and we'll be working in a warehouse-not out in the wind (thank goodness). I'm used to gilding flat and v-carved signs w/ patent leaf-this will be a first for us. -any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Tags:
  2. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    I'm no expert, but I have gilded plenty of finial caps with patent leaf. I don't think I would even consider using loose leaf.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'd use patent if they're fairly smooth, loose if there are a lot of details, and work over a skewings box so you can pick up skewings to fill the holidays
    We did this same exact job many years ago, and had a major problem.
    The finials were raw cast metal. The guy who prepped them swore that all they need was a good coat of primer
    to be ready for gilding. He was wrong. Whatever he used wasn't good enough, they started to discolor with rust within weeks.
    Since then I have made damn sure that any metal I've gilded has been finished as though it was going out as is with primer & top coat. Then I gild.

4. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida

Ouch! I hate when we learn things the hard way...

5. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I'd be tempted to try one of David Smith's gilder's tips and use the loose leaf.
    I think patent is not going to get into the nooks and crannies.
    Love....Jill

6. Todd Jelle

Todd Jelle Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Colorado
    you can get loose leaf & if you want patent. get some wax paper & makeyour own patent. Palm the loose leaf with wax paper to create patent. The wax paper will not sick to the size like the rice paper used for patent. This way you can utiliize both loose & patent with bestter results & less loss of gold. I enjoy gilding when I get the chance. Its nice to get away from the computer, electric & modern signs.
    Most of all have fun!