• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Golf Ball Printing

BALLPARK

Hello All...

Do any of you currently print on golf balls?

If so, do you mind to share your experience with your UV printer or pad printing setup? We are looking into making our own custom printed golf balls.

I don't have much data on pad printing, but it seems like it would be great for a lot of promotional items. But we are only needing to print on golf balls and that seems like a bit of an overkill.

I'm leaning towards a UV printer series that would use a jig.

Do any of you currently have any suggestions?

Below is the current leader on our board for the equipment. They say it can do up to 1000 balls a day. We don't need that many to start so it's good to hear we can grow into the unit. We are only adding it for one client and it's more about just providing that client with what they need, when they need it.

I was hoping that someone may have purchased this unit (Artis 2100U) or one of the models other models from Artis.

They have a 3000U and 5000U model with a few more features and better speeds.

I'm curious about the pre-coating process and how you view it for efficiency and production obstacles.

Thanks!

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have done them as samples on our FB750,w built our own jig of sorts out of coro stacked.

No precoating needed, ink stuck well. Dont know how well it holds up to golf clubs though.

BALLPARK

That's cool... I wish our printer could do that but we are capped at 2" max height. Golf balls are about 1.68" in height and the jig would push us over 2" for our printer. That and it would be capped at 600dpi or 1000 dpi.

I would like to get as high as possible on the dpi. The Artis claims they print "Up to 2880 * 1440 dpi".

They are really cheap compared to Roland and Mimaki, so that worries us for sure. Hoping someone here has made the leap of faith with that brand.

BALLPARK

Can you make the jig so it's below the top of the ball and the ball is on the table?

That is clever and I'm sure a larger jig could be created in that style. I don't think our QS would pass quality control for the printing.

I wonder how many balls could be cleared from the drop point of the belt to the table area without causing a head strike? I have some concerns about doing it as it's a hybrid of getting the balls from the drop point in time.

It would be ideal if it was a true flatbed with 1200+ dpi. But I don't need balls that bad to look at a true flatbed printer setup. lol.

BALLPARK

Are these something special or just promo giveaways. It worked fine on our HP hybrid but it's not something we feel the need to do on the daily.
Some will brand the client as giveaways. Some will brand the client and their partners... also giveaways.

The client will offer customizable printing on the balls to their customers. But the main focus of orders is giveaway for targeted brand awareness promotions.

I have a friend with an HP flatbed. I may reach out to him to see if he wants to have some fun one night. I would be curious to see how it holds up after contact. But that's hard to know b/c once I hit it... it's gone! [HASHTAG]#OutOfBounds[/HASHTAG]

I would think pad printing would be the most durable, but I don't have a lot of knowledge in the process other than it's great for bulk and many customizable golf ball companies offer it. If I can find a printer under 10k that works well for golf balls then I would be a happy camper. If the client's orders turns into volume then I would look into larger brands.

Glavin_ID

Are these something special or just promo giveaways. It worked fine on our HP hybrid but it's not something we feel the need to do on the daily.

This is a random question. We are new to the FB700 and I've been wondering how you would get the machine to measure the thickness of the material so the head height is correct for the balls? I assume the jig is lower than the balls and the machine would measure the jig then crash into the balls. We print on flat material so it hasn't come up for us and I'm sure there is an easy fix, just not sure what it is. Thanks!