• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Golf tournament signs

graphix45

How do you handle golf tournament sponsor signs as far as logos? We do signs for about 10-12 tournaments a year, some very simple with all the sponsor names in the same font, same color & same size. We also have a few that want the sponsors logo on them (usually the highest paying ones) which we charge more for setup + full color if required. We are currently working on one now that we quoted for simple one color 12"x18" coraplast, but they had a few that wanted us to use there logo which were simple and look good in one color. Of course they knew we had done some work for 2-3 of the sponsors and knew we already had there logos, so we didn't charge them any extra for set up. Now they just brought in 9 more sponsors to add, with business cards from them so we can do there logo on the signs. When reminded about the logo set up fee, they let us know that this was going to put them way over their budget and since it was for a church could we help them out. We already have the first half of the order done and now have only 4 days to finish the new sponsor signs. It seems most of our customers think they're the only customer we have and we should be greatful they're letting us do the signs. :frustrated:

Sorry my question turned into a rant!

ironchef

I feel you man, i had a guy come in yesterday. Saying oh i need something quick(since it was near closing time). Well, when i saw what he wanted in a jpg file, i told him i would need to charge a fee to vectorize the design. It was blurry as hell. He said nevermind, thanks. Then he walked out. Lol i told him if he wanted something cheap to go fiverr.com hahaha

graphix45

My biggest thing right now is that without working super late, (which I have now 2 nights in a row) I really don't have enough time to get all of them done. If I just scan them and have them printed they look like crap, plus they don't match the other signs we've done. I will probably scan, auto trace, replace any text that's unreadable and cut!

One of my wifes saying for alot of things is, You get what you give! Guess that applys here too.

Jillbeans

Thankfully I am down to only one of these things a year.
I give them a better price for one color, all the same font and layout.
I get to pick the fonts and the layout. Haha

I used to waste hours redrawing all their sometimes complex logos and everyone wanting something different (hell I used to HAND PAINT them for $25 each back in the early 90s!)
Now I quote a bigger price for redrawn logos and an even bigger one if they want more than one color. (cut vinyl not prints) That usually makes them go to the local hack.

Last Friday at 10am I got a call from someone who had already gotten the major portion of their golf outing signs from someone else, but they needed a few more for Monday morning. I told them I couldn't do it.

What kills me is that they charge the sponsors hundreds of dollars for these things yet choke at a $25 corosign.
Love....jill

SebastienL

Usually, we sponsors those at some level, so we put our own logo somewhere.
The organizer usually collects the logo for us. We tell them what we need as far as resolution goes. If they give us a 1" x 1" 72dpi logo, we ask for something better. If they can't find something better, then whoever supplies us with a s****y logo learns a valuable lesson: Don't hire your stepbrother's nephew to design your logo! We don't redraw or retrace logos for these types of signage.

Pat Whatley

I do quite a few sets of them every year and logos don't really bother me. Show them up front what the results are with good logo files and with business cards to scan. I don't think I've had anybody pay the difference for vectorizing the logos in years. I just slap whatever they choose to use on a layout, send it to signs365 and go on with it. If I have room on the order I have any extra signs printed without the sponsor info. That way when the customer calls later and wants to add a sponsor I can just plug it into the blank. They want the logo on it? I'll just print it from whatever file they send me and slap it on there.

You're talking small time fundraising golf tournaments. These signs will get put up on the tee boxes, they MIGHT get glanced at by the golfers but for the most part they're just there so the sponsors can see their names. They're going to be seen from about 20' away so photo quality resolution isn't that important anyway.

Heck, around here a majority of the tournaments are using signs provided by the golf courses. The courses have those coro golf balls, they just print the sponsor info on 8.5" x 11" paper and tape it on there. Nobody cares because it really doesn't matter.

graphix45

I forgot to add:

Golf sucks!
That's my thought also. But I don't knock people that play, everyone has something they do that's a waste of time.
Maybe we can start offering a lower cost option for these golf signs. Printed full color on my deskjet & stapled to a coraplast blank, or even some scrap if they don't mind different size signs.

TheSnowman

I print these on 3621 full color. I had the mentality before of "just give them a sign with the name on it"...then I had Phillip create a "generic look" one for me that I was donating something I always support with. From that donation, spawned three more golf outings, and they all have ordered 30+ signs. For my one man shop, that's a pretty good boost. They all ASK me to leave my name on there, while I don't budge on my price because they are so happy with the layouts.

I can truly say that this has led to lots of other jobs with these company sponsors and it's been the best move I ever made. I may be an isolated case, because I'm normally not a believer in the "I'll tell a friend" method...but I feel for businesses it's a better bet.

showcase 66

I forgot to add:

Golf sucks!

Bite your tongue.

Golf paid for 2 years of college for me. Could have gotten all 4 years for it but I crushed my hand entering my Freshman year.

Wish I had more time to play now.

As for the signs, I pass on most of them anymore. I only do 3 of them a year and 2 of them are because the organizations putting them on, I am a member and the other is the hospital which I have a contract with.

Typestries

Folks, why pass on them. It's easy money.

Lay them out, with header, event name, logos and sponsor name, impose them on 4 x 8 sheets or in a multi-page PDF, send the file to a wholesaler like us or the others on here, receive signs markup 3x and you are done.

Utilizing resources like us and the equipment we have allows us to send you a box of signs, and each one can be different-with each sponsor's name for instance. No fuss, cutting vinyl, sticking, etc. Perfect use for our services.

showcase 66

Lay them out, with header, event name, logos and sponsor name, impose them on 4 x 8 sheets or in a multi-page PDF, send the file to a wholesaler like us or the others on here, receive signs markup 3x and you are done.

Utilizing resources like us and the equipment we have allows us to send you a box of signs, and each one can be different-with each sponsor's name for instance. No fuss, cutting vinyl, sticking, etc. Perfect use for our services.

Agreed, However usually around here. They contact you 2 weeks in advance and then get you the logos/sponsor names the Monday before they need them.

graphix45

I'm actually working on 2 tournaments, one on Oct. 4th & the other Oct. 5th.
I need the signs ready by the 3rd due to a job I have out of town the 4th & 5th.
The one for the 5th is being printed on a 4'x8', cut & shipped to me but there is 48 signs with a header and three sponsors per sign listed that all have to be layed out before I can send them to print. The other one started out with just about 8-10 12"x18" one color signs, so I figured on cutting them out of vinyl. Since then they've added about 12 more sponsors & with it being a church they want a sign for each tee/hole with a different scripture on each one. Not just the number(john 3:16), but the actual scripture written out.

Guess I better quick complaining and just suck it up and get back to work. :covereyes:

Typestries

Quick turn, not a big deal. We almost always have 24 hour turnaround. During high volume periods, we print orders according to event and due dates to ensure event dates are made on time.