• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good Price? Opinions?

Mr Peabody

Ok, so here's the story. I have been looking around at the posts and trying to figure out if this (signs) is for me. Well I have been working with Autocad and have done drafting and design (Mech & Arch) for over 20 years. I'm told that I have some artistic ability. I have a full time job working from home, yea the job pays me to work at home.

I mentioned that I was looking at starting a small sign business, part time at first to see how it would go. I was asked if I would be interested in doing some vinyl graphics for a physical therapy office. Logo on the wall, business name, some stuff in the PT area.

Anyway to make a long story short I found a Graphtec cutter for $1495, includes some vinyl, floor stand, free shipping and a few other items. No cutting software, do you think this is a good price? I have not been able to really find much better. If you are interested it's on ebay from Ordway (signsupply.com).

This is something I hope to make some money doing, hopefully a career change. I don't want to be cheap on the equipment but I don't want to sink a lot of cash into something that isn't going to work out. I won't be giving them the "new guy" cheap price either.

I hope all that didn't put you to sleep, but I need some honest answers and I know that I'll get them here.

Thanks. :thankyou:

beckys

honestly...
there is tooooo many people doing signs, I'd stick with the other job, no offense.
stick around and see how many newbies pop in!

RedWolf

What size cutter is it? how much vinyl? The more details you give the better the answers can be. Software can be quite pricey as well.

As far as sticking with the other job, that is only a choice you can make. Everybody was a newbie at one time or another. Because Honestly... in some areas of this country, the sign shops are few and far between. 20 miles to the closest one where I live. :)

Matt

Mr Peabody

24" Graphtec, capable of contour cutting. Sample pack of vinyl, proably not enough, just enough to calibrate and do a few cuts.

RedWolf

I bought a Roland gx24, no stand, no sample vinyl, yet I got CutStudio software included to help get me started. I paid 1600 and s&h was included also. So in my opinion, the price u got is not too bad if you have software already to at least do the basics. CutStudio is mainly basic stuff too for the most part.

Cadmn

Autocad doesn't work well for signage you'll need something like Corel or Illistrator. If I had stay at home drafting I would invest My money into mutual funds & Keep drafting.This from an ex draftsman & drafting proffesor. good luck in whatever choice you make &howdy from Texas

Mr Peabody

I'm aware that Autocad is not a good sign program, I'm a little beyond just drafting. I Run a small scanning, documentation conversion service for the PA, Md, Va and DC area. While it pays the bills, it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I have someone, he doesn't know it yet, else who is going to run it while I do what I want to do. I was just trying to be honest and give you a little insight as to my background. Maybe that was my mistake.
If I had listened to all the people who said I couldn't do something and not tried to accomplish what I set out to do, I wouldn't be where I am today. To be honest, I've come a long way baby. :peace!: I thought that we were here to help each other along. Am I mistaken?

Anyway, I'm getting off track, I'm just hoping that I could get some feedback about the equipment. Maybe find a better deal somewhere. :smile:

S

SignTech

Ok, so here's the story. I have been looking around at the posts and trying to figure out if this (signs) is for me. Well I have been working with Autocad and have done drafting and design (Mech & Arch) for over 20 years. I'm told that I have some artistic ability. I have a full time job working from home, yea the job pays me to work at home.

Congrats on your current career!

I mentioned that I was looking at starting a small sign business, part time at first to see how it would go. I was asked if I would be interested in doing some vinyl graphics for a physical therapy office. Logo on the wall, business name, some stuff in the PT area.

Not a bad part-time start, how will you get more work?

Anyway to make a long story short I found a Graphtec cutter for $1495, includes some vinyl, floor stand, free shipping and a few other items. No cutting software, do you think this is a good price? I have not been able to really find much better. If you are interested it's on ebay from Ordway (signsupply.com).

Get a combo cutter AND software .... you will be spending around $3000.00 and get a 30" if you ever expect to do this full time.

This is something I hope to make some money doing, hopefully a career change.

Don't make that career change just yet! :) big learning curve and you won't make a fair living in JUST vinyl ...

I don't want to be cheap on the equipment but I don't want to sink a lot of cash into something that isn't going to work out. I won't be giving them the "new guy" cheap price either.

Good Idea ... but there is so much more involved to make it in the sign business, we are 4 years in and have a long way to go for a TRUE profit ...

I hope all that didn't put you to sleep, but I need some honest answers and I know that I'll get them here.

There are tons of threads on start ups .... when you mentioned "career change" this business will not float you unless you make a REAL career change ... then your into 50 thousand ...... and up ... but you CAN do some small items from home for a little side profit ...

Thanks. :thankyou:

Mike

signage

Graphtecs are good! I also come from the CAD field I used Micrstaion and more recently Autocad. The graphics programs in my opinion could use some of the cad enhancements. Back to cutters I would recommend Graphtecs, Summa, Muto, or any other ones that have been around for a long time, most started as CAD plotters!

wcso35

I agree with schurms, Take this from personal experinse. Go ahead and spend the money and buy a printer/cutter.
Also if you are used to working with auto cad, you might try looking at Signlab. Someone here might be able to correct me, but I think Signlab is the closest to auto cad

Mr Peabody

Not a bad part-time start, how will you get more work?
Thanks for the advise and comments. You have some excellent points that while I have considered have not completely resolved, I'm still in the planning stage. Local advertising, penny saver ad's to start, a few signs advertising the business at intersections (not a big fan of this one), magnetic sign on side of truck, maybe learn to wrap my pick up. Post some fliers at local community spaces, visit store owners in the area, hand out business cards. Other avenues such as web site, etc. to follow as portfolio increases. I'm not going to put put a web site with other peoples work. I really wonder how many people do that.
As I start writing the business plan this will come together in a more cohesive manner.

Get a combo cutter AND software .... you will be spending around $3000.00 and get a 30" if you ever expect to do this full time.
I have been looking for a used Roland combo and not had much luck. Ebay has a few but haven't had any success there. Do you know of any other sites that might have solid classifieds and reliable used equipment? You have one you want to part with?

Don't make that career change just yet! :) big learning curve and you won't make a fair living in JUST vinyl ... Good Idea ... but there is so much more involved to make it in the sign business, we are 4 years in and have a long way to go for a TRUE profit
Oh no, one step at a time. If this was an easy, money making thing to do everybody would be doing it. I didn't make a profit with my current business right off the bat. You see advertisements on the web, "buy this cutter and start making money today!" LOL Yea right! Most businesses won't really start to turn a profit for at least 5 - 6 years.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. :thankyou: :U Rock:

Mr Peabody

I agree with schurms, Take this from personal experinse. Go ahead and spend the money and buy a printer/cutter.
Also if you are used to working with auto cad, you might try looking at Signlab. Someone here might be able to correct me, but I think Signlab is the closest to auto cad

Do you know of any links or a good Roland for sale?

Thanks