• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good source of images?

shoresigns

Also, just to add. When we're working with old high-res images, step 2 is to do any restoration work in Photoshop if needed, and step 3 would be to run it through Topaz Gigapixel to maximize the resolution.

shoresigns

No commercial usage permitted from what I read on that site.

There is substantial discussion about this in the comments section of the article. Museums cannot claim copyright to public domain works. Public domain means anyone can use it as they wish, commercial or otherwise, because the copyright has expired.

However, some online archives may ask you to agree to terms of service before accessing, so they could try to restrict your use of the images that way. That could hold up in court if the terms are explicit and clear, and you're actually clicking an "Agree" button or something to that effect. It is not enforceable if they're just tucked away on a "Terms of Use" page somewhere on the site.

Also I AM NOT A LAWYER, this is just something I've dealt with numerous times before.

twmiller24

Actually, the Met has changed their policy, and now licenses their public domain artwork for unrestricted use.

"On February 7, 2017, The Metropolitan Museum of Art implemented a new policy known as Open Access, which makes images of artworks it believes to be in the public domain widely and freely available for unrestricted use, and at no cost, in accordance with the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) designation and the Terms and Conditions of this website."

https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/policies-and-documents/image-resources