Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Suggestions Discussion Good source of images?

Discussion in 'Clipart, Vehicle Templates and Digital Files' started by Marvin Henriquez, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Marvin Henriquez

Marvin Henriquez New Member

Sep 5, 2019
    State/Province
    Does anyone know a good source for graphics, images, artwork? I mean for posters and murals. Stuff like this https://www.surfaceview.co.uk/ - Thank you.

Tags:
  2. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    • Like Like x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. shoresigns

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Also, just to add. When we're working with old high-res images, step 2 is to do any restoration work in Photoshop if needed, and step 3 would be to run it through Topaz Gigapixel to maximize the resolution.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  4. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
  5. shoresigns

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    There is substantial discussion about this in the comments section of the article. Museums cannot claim copyright to public domain works. Public domain means anyone can use it as they wish, commercial or otherwise, because the copyright has expired.

However, some online archives may ask you to agree to terms of service before accessing, so they could try to restrict your use of the images that way. That could hold up in court if the terms are explicit and clear, and you're actually clicking an "Agree" button or something to that effect. It is not enforceable if they're just tucked away on a "Terms of Use" page somewhere on the site.

Also I AM NOT A LAWYER, this is just something I've dealt with numerous times before.

• Like Like x 2
  6. twmiller24

twmiller24 Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Canton MI USA
    Actually, the Met has changed their policy, and now licenses their public domain artwork for unrestricted use.

"On February 7, 2017, The Metropolitan Museum of Art implemented a new policy known as Open Access, which makes images of artworks it believes to be in the public domain widely and freely available for unrestricted use, and at no cost, in accordance with the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) designation and the Terms and Conditions of this website."

https://www.metmuseum.org/about-the-met/policies-and-documents/image-resources

• Like Like x 2