• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good use for an aqueous printer

MatthewTimothy

Learning more about some new printers and ive always wondered what the purpose of an aqueous printer was. I personally never used one, but ive been told they are not good for outdoor prints such as an Eco-solvent Printer. What is a good medium best suited for these types of printers??

psbc2009

I have a Mutoh 1604 for outdoor/indoor stuff but use a HP5000 as well for just indoor. Really good quality, decent speed, and a workhorse.

ChicagoGraphics

Who says water base pigment ink don't last outdoors?

I removed my old logos from my windows that were installed outside last month, they were hanging up there for the past 11 years. They still looked good but the liquid laminate was flaking off. I used a Roland CJ-500 back then.

Erikka@Rainier

I have a Mutoh 1604 for outdoor/indoor stuff but use a HP5000 as well for just indoor. Really good quality, decent speed, and a workhorse.

:goodpost:
I ran a set-up just like this and you couldn't be more on the money. The HP5000 is a fantastic machine, great quality, easy to perform maintenance and will work it's buns off for a decade with minimal investment in repairs.

Billct2

My HP5000 does a lot of interior posters, vinyl prints, ploy banners, but
I have also used it for outdoor stuff, mostly short term, lamianted of course.
I did have one sign I did that was out there for 7 years, I thought the place wouldn't last a year so I wasn't worried, but it is still open and they just changed the sign to their new logo.

Billct2

the 5000 is no longer made or supported, though there are still parts and plenty of ink & materials available. Right now I think the Z6200 is the current similar machine.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Assume is not a good idea

i assume you can print on vinyl such as printable wallpaper vinyl??

Remember, for an AQUEOUS printer you need media that has been treated with an ink receptive coating. Un-treated media and the ink simply beads up and rolls off. The ink needs the coating to BITE into.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Encad 736 vs. HP Latex

i have an ENCAD 736.........and i print stuff that goes outdoors for up to a year. if any of you want to dig into this, the new HP LATEX printer, uses the same technology that ENCAD did back with their ENCAD/KODAK 736 VINYLJET...OUTDOOR AQUEOUS PRINTER))))
http://www.encad.com/printers/Discontinued/VinylJet/index.asp

Encad had THE RIGHT PRODUCT; they simply could not tell the story effectively. They were ahead of their time and time ran out. Alas, time has run out on Kodak as well...sigh!!!

Jack Knight1979

5500 is a great machine. Started my business with one. I bought it off a beer distributor.

I quickly realized that media was WAY too expensive and then bought a roland.

The printer payment was about what I spent on the difference between coated and uncoated media, so I didn't take a hit on big machine.

phototec

I have an Epson Pro 4800 sitting right next to me, I use it to print on coated canvas for gallery wrap prints. The thing I love the most is the smell, NOT!

Has absolutely NO odor whatsoever.

:thumb:

Attachments

• Bicycle_Gallery-Wrap.jpg
    Bicycle_Gallery-Wrap.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 74

Jackpine

I have an Epson 7700 5 color, CMY+2 blacks and it prints fast and high quality even at it's fastest speed. No maintenance and yes material is more but it is apples vs oranges. 14 oz banner scrim is $.36 sq ft. Posters, canvas and PhotoTex are excellent quality printed on this printer. Most short term outdoors with a laminate film or spray gets printed on this printer as well as most things indoors. There is a of material available. Material plus ink maybe $1 sq ft. There is aftermarket inks at STS that looks good and when I replace the set I am printing with i will try them out.