• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good vinyl for printing translucent?

biggmann

We are looking for a good translucent film to print on to. We have used Arlon 6500 in the past but it is rather expensive and we have tried a tru-stock film that works ok. We primarily have used a cast film for this but was told by one sales rep that calendared film works just as well but our fear is that we do a job and a year later the customer is unhappy because their vinyl is peeling up. So I was wondering if anyone has a good option for printing on translucent.

Malkin

Oracal/Orajet 3850 seems to be a common choice for many here, myself included.

7 years is their claim, but YMMV

MikePro

Fellers' house-brand, Solvex, has a great trans. as well... great price point. Otherwise, +1 to Oracal. Great stuff.

AceSignsOnline

Fellers' house-brand, Solvex, has a great trans. as well... great price point. Otherwise, +1 to Oracal. Great stuff.

We currently use 3850 exclusively for all of our digital print translucent, but the Solvex pricing is hard to ignore. And as much of a tightwad as I am, I'm a little apprehensive to go down that road. I certainly wouldn't use it for outdoor applications. I assume you use it mostly for indoor jobs?

MikePro

We currently use 3850 exclusively for all of our digital print translucent, but the Solvex pricing is hard to ignore. And as much of a tightwad as I am, I'm a little apprehensive to go down that road. I certainly wouldn't use it for outdoor applications. I assume you use it mostly for indoor jobs?

not one yet... all my backlit stuff winds up being outdoors.
I'm also still an arlon man myself, for most of my printables, but for anything with a retainer I have been using solvex without question or issue (yet). figured I can at least trust it enough to, at worst, curl back a bit from the edges inside of the retainer and never be noticeable anyways.
Out of paranoia, I still don't poke a single bubble in fear of vinyl shrink/tear from spots I've pierced in the face... BUT I rarely have bubbles anyways, so there's that :)

anything I have exposed edges, I still use the premium stuff. I still pay more sometimes, when I'd rather not worry about our high-end stuff ever failing.
trim capped letters, push-thru plexi lettering, etc. Pay-up and use the good stuff.
light boxes, save your client some $$$ and use solvex all-day-long.